three. drifting bonds

"i've really missed you, you know, you stupid bitch."

THE HOSPITALit was mid afternoon and lola mitchell was walking through the hospital corridors, trying to find taras room

THE HOSPITAL
it was mid afternoon and lola mitchell was walking through the hospital corridors, trying to find taras room. her and tara were quite a close duo, all throughout their lives. her parental link with sam meant that she saw tara a lot from
a young age and they created a sisterly bond. as the years went by and sam left, lola and tara began to drift even though they were in the same group. it just felt a kind of awkward without sam there- even after taras attack. but lola thought she needed to reach out and see tara otherwise she'd just feel even worse. she got to the door, took a deep breath and walked in.
"hi"

to her surprise, monica was sat on an armchair next to taras bed, reading a book. she smiled perfectly at lola and whispered hello under her breathe. tara was still lay in her hospital bed, with 'The Babadook' in the background of the tv, "oh hi lola, is everything okay?" she said with a concerned tone.
"yeah no everything's fine, i just, i wanted to come and see you, that's all"
"oh, yeah that's great, come in, we can talk" tara replied with a more calm voice. lola sat on the other side of taras bed and put down the bag of things she had brought for tara.
"oh i thought i'd bring some things for you, just the essentials, i wasn't sure if you had any of this and i hope it makes you feel more at home." she dug through the bag and stacked up all her gifts for tara: a set of books, chocolate, a jumper, a blanket, some perfume and half- used make up products, headphones and a pack of  chewing gum.
tara beamed with glee, she couldn't believe lola had done this for her. it wasn't much but it meant a lot, it was as if all the awkward tension between them was gone. "thank you, lola," she smiled, "thank you this is great."
"i know it's been weird recently and i know it's been hard for you now especially," they giggled, "but i just want you to know i'm always here for-"
the opening on the door cut her off. it was sam, she walked slowly and glanced around the room before freezing by monica's cold glare.
"what did i say to you about this?" monica announced abruptly.
"monica, can we just talk, please." sam begged with hopeful eyes.
"fine," the girl replied as she got up, "tara i'll be right back." with a shift in tone.

the two girls were stood outside the room.
"yeah..." monica encouraged her to talk.
"i know you hate me monica, and i don't blame you. it was a shitty thing i did to you and i've regretted leaving like that every day of my life since i left, it wasn't my intention and i never meant to hurt you, or tara, or anyone. i know there's nothing i can say or do that can make it better but i do miss you, truly. you were my best friend and it's been so difficult the last few years without you. i couldn't have asked for a better person to be there for tara while i couldn't and all i want us for us to be us again, it's a really hard time for all of us and we need to stick together, i understand if you never want to speak to me again but for taras sake, can we please at least act like we are friends again, she's told me that's all she wants."
monica looked at her, no more with resentment, but with loss, she needed her friend back and she couldn't keep up a barrier between them for much longer. sam shutting her out of her life was the worst thing that ever happened to her and she couldn't bare to do the same thing to her.
"it was a shitty thing." monica smiled. sams face relaxed. has she been forgiven?
"come here" monica said as she wrapped her arms over sams shoulders.
"i've really missed you, you know, you stupid bitch." they laughed.
"i've missed you too." sam shared, breathily.