The Haunting of Mission Creek High

Start from the beginning

One lunch lady dims the lights in the hallway while the other holds a flashlight to Perry's face. "It was a dark, gloomy night at Mission Creek High when a group of kids decided to prank old Jasper."

"What were a bunch of kids doing in school at night?" Leo asks.

"Irrelevant!" Perry snapped. "They decided to scare him when he was cleaning the pencil sharpener. His beard got caught, and all they found were Jasper shavings, with no one to sweep them up."

"What about the janitor?" Adam asks. "Oh, never mind, guys, I got there."

"Legend has it that every ten years, Jasper's ghost returns to seek revenge on the students!" Perry says. Trent screams.

"I mean, ah, good story!" Trent says.

"Whenever he returns, there's always one kid who mysteriously moves away, never to be heard from again!" Perry says in a creepy voice. She turns to one of the lunch ladies and whispers to them. "Lights. Lights." The lunch lady turns the lights back on. "Anywho, I'm going on a little vacay. Me and Mr. Whiskers are gonna zip-line across the Grand Canyon. Until then, I leave you under the watchful eye of Mrs. Thistle."

We all turn to Mrs. Thistle who had her eyes closed. "Thistle!" Perry shouts.

"Bingo!" Mrs. Thistle shouts.

"See you in two weeks. Well, whoever's left." Perry laughs and leaves the hallway.

"Are we really supposed to believe that the school is haunted?" Chase asks.

"Yeah, Jasper's probably just misunderstood," Adam says. "The ghost in my cartoons is very friendly."

"Do you think that ghost is real? And I'm not asking for me. It's for my friend...Brent." Trent says to a student as he walks past us.

"I got it! Trent is afraid of ghosts!" Leo says. "We can use your bionics to create one and scare him. Then he'll be humiliated and he won't do it to me anymore."

"Good idea, Leo! I can definitely use my intangibility, find a blanket and pretend to be the ghost!" I say.

"Leo, do you actually believe anyone's gonna buy the school is haunted just 'cause I do this?" Chase uses Molecularkinesis to move a broom across the hallway, making the students scream and run away. "All right! Let's make some ghosts!"

"Yes!" Leo exclaimed, giving Chase and me high-fives.

At the house, Bree and Owen were studying together in the living room. "Sorry to cut our study session short, but my art is calling. And when you gotta sculpt, you gotta sculpt. Did that sound weird?"

"Not for you." Bree laughs. Her phone beeps. "Oh, yes! They're gonna let me decorate the gym for the homecoming dance!"

"What? Other than Cassie, I'm the second-best artist in school. I always decorate for the dances." Owen says.

"Oh. Well, I asked Mrs. Thistle and she didn't remember that." Bree says. "But to be fair, she also thinks it's nineteen forty-two."

"Well, can I at least help you?" Owen asks.

"Yeah, sure. The theme is the American frontier. So I'm thinkin' a Wild West thing." Bree says.

"Wild West. I love it." Owen says. "I see wagon wheels. No! Barrels! Lots of barrels."

"Okay," Bree says. She walks up to the front door and opens it.

"You know what, Bree? This is your thing. I'm gonna back off and let you do it your way." Owen says. "But I leave you with this. Barrels." Owen leaves the house.