Hole in One

The next morning, Adam, Bree, Chase, Leo, and I walk into the living room and see Mr. Davenport standing next to a big gray sheet. "Hey, guys, check this out. I picked this up at an auction today, and it only cost me a million dollars." Mr. Davenport says.

"For a sheet?" Adam asks. "Boy, I guess I better start saving up if I'm gonna be a ghost for Halloween."

"It's a painting, Adam, by a very famous artist named Von Schtopp." Mr. Davenport says, revealing the painting.

"Hm, I wish I would have been there to Von Schtopp you from buying it," Leo says.

"What is it?" Adam asks.

"It's abstract art, Adam. It's whatever you think it is." Mr. Davenport says.

"I think it's a crying woman," Bree says.

"I think it's a storm at sea," Chase says.

"I think it's a gorilla jumping on a pogo stick." I say, everyone gives me a weird look.

"I think someone just blew a million bucks," Leo says. Mr. Davenport's phone rings and he answers it.

"That's me. Davenport Industries. Hello? Uh-huh. Oh, boy. All right. Looks like I've got to put out a fire at work." Mr. Davenport says, hanging up the phone.

"What happened?" Chase asks.

"Betty from accounting got her head caught in the positron collider again." Mr. Davenport says. We all grimace at the news Mr. Davenport was telling us. "That's gonna be messy. Can you guys put that in the art vault for me?"

"Wait, you have an art vault?" Leo asks.

"When are you guys gonna learn? I have a everything." Mr. Davenport says. "But whatever you do, do not touch the Davenportraits." Mr. Davenport leaves the house.

"What's a Davenportrait?" Leo asks.

We went down to the art vault and looked at the various paintings Mr. Davenport had in the room. They were famous paintings but they had his face in them. Leo was standing with his hands on his face and his mouth wide open like the screaming man painting that was in the room. "Am I screaming out loud or just inside my head?" Leo asks.

"I'm just gonna say it: Davenport is one weird dude," Chase says. Adam puts the painting on a stand.

"Ah. Voila." He says. "The Von Schto..." Adam begins to sneeze.

"Ew, gross, gross, gross!" I say.

"Turn around!" Leo says.

Adam sneezes and accidentally triggers his heat vision that burns a hole through the painting. "Adam, what did you do?" Chase asks.

"Oh, I think that sneeze accidentally triggered my heat vision!" Adam says.

"Big D is going to freak out!" Leo says.

"Let's not panic. This hole is barely noticeable." Chase says. Adam sneezes again and burns a bigger hole in the painting. "That, however, is incredibly noticeable!"

"Adam, if you're going to destroy paintings, do it to those!" Leo says, pointing to the paintings in the room.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

"Adam, I cannot believe you just destroyed Mr. Davenport's million-dollar painting!" Chase says.

"Mr. Davenport's gonna kill us when he sees what happened," Bree says.

"Okay, well, maybe he won't notice if we fill the room with things that look much more hideous," Adam says.

"More hideous? Have you seen the Daven Lisa?" Bree asks, pointing to the Daven Lisa portrait. The elevator dings and we all scramble to cover the ruined painting with the sheet. We all tried to look natural when Mr. Davenport walked back into the room.