e i g h t ✿ photograph - ed sheeran

Start from the beginning

Because, once again, I will be stuck as just his best friend.

***

Days passed and everything seemed to hurt more. I keep seeing them on the coffee shop I usually go to, I keep seeing their intertwined hands while I go on shopping, I keep seeing them being so sweet everywhere I go.

I stayed at home after those days. I couldn't handle it. I wish I wasn't Leanza. I wish I didn't fall in love with my best friend so it doesn't hurt like this.

Loving hurts, and it wrecks me deep inside.

One night, I decided to bake some cupcakes to cheer me up. It has been days since Calum and I talked, and I am so pissed at the fact that some random bitch just stole the time where Calum and I were supposed to have been catching up with each other.

I was cooling them off when I got startled by a knock on the door. I hesitated on opening it since I knew my parents weren't supposed to be back until tomorrow afternoon, but something really made me.

And I my heart stopped for a minute, when it revealed Calum and he started tugging my hand.

"You have to come with me, Leanza," he said, pulling me.

I pulled my hand away, still hurt from him choosing that brunette over me when we were supposed to catch up on each other.

"You better not miss this, please," he pleaded, his dark orbs piercing into my soul.

"What?" I managed to ask without choking because I seriously wanted to confront him at that moment.

He flashed his phone at me and made me read the event written on his calendar app.

Geminids.

I immediately started running off upstairs to change. I shouldn't miss this. I made a promise to my dad I'd always watch these annual meteor showers for him. It was our bonding moment, and it was the last thing we did before he died.

"Leanza," Calum pulled my hand, making me trip on the stairs and fall into his chest.

"Cal, I almost forgot, I made a promise to dad, Cal," I sobbed into him.

"Buddy, we still have time. Wear my sweater, okay? Let's go," he said making me stand up from our position.

I let him lead the way to the cliff where I always took him to watch with me. I remember how he complained before, but this time, he was the one who reminded me of this. He even had a reminder on his calendar.

The moment we got settled on the cliff, i laid down on my usual spot, and stared at the night sky. Calum sat on a nearby rock and looked up as well.

As much as I am happy Calum is here with me, I wondered if there was anything that went wrong with him and Tanya, because I can see him having a sad emotion on his eyes.

"Uhm, Cal, you alright?" I asked him, not being able to stop myself.

"Yeah", he answered not taking his gaze away from a far.

I didn't try to ask anymore, because, maybe, it is about time I savor this moment.

Time passed and more people came to watch the meteors starting to shoot across the sky. It was a very wonderful sight, to be honest. When more stars started falling, I closed my eyes and began making my wish, just like how i did when I was younger.

And just as I finished making my wish, I felt someones hand intertwine with mine. My breathing hitched a bit before I decided to open my eyes and see who did.