"You know me." Kentrell piped up and Kaydence rolled her eyes with a giggle.

"You don't count Daddy, I've always known you."

"I ain't used to know you."He poked the top of her forehead, "And then I got to know you."

"How you ain't always known me?"

"Just cause I always been here don't mean you always been here." He said causing Kaydence to puff her cheeks out.

"That's so weird."

"You think anything weird that you don't understand." Kentrell chastised her slightly, Nick laughing in response.

"Sounds like somebody I know."

"Shut the hell up." 

"You can't be talkin' to yo roommate like that."

He and Kaydence were staying with Nick until Kentrell got his first few paychecks to pay towards their own apartment.

"Well I did and I know ain't gonna be checked."

"You and yo daughter got matching attitudes." Nick commented making Kentrell roll his eyes.

********

As Kaydence laid in the bedroom, her snores soft and slow,  Kentrell sat outside on the porch with Nick tearing into the chicken Parmesan his friend made. Nick had a glass of wine while Kentrell drunk cran-apple juice just to feel included. He'd been sober for 5 years and was tryna keep the good streak going.

Kentrell didn't want to hold back in their conversation, his heart feeling a bit heavy ever since he stepped of the plane but he also knew he couldn't say certain things in front of Kaydence.

"Nick bruh, I wanna fix things with Ty- and Ben, everybody in general."

"5 years is a long time to go without speakin' to somebody Trell."He swished his wine glass around,"That's a good bit of Kaydence's toddler years."

"You actin' like I ain't try."

"No, I know you tried, I'm more or so talkin' about them,"Nick frowned,"They got used to not having you around and talking again almost makes it feel like doubling back."

"I want them to see I've changed."

"Maybe- maybe it just ain't meant to be in the friendship department?"

"Don't say shit like that." Kentrell groaned throwing his head back.

"Not everybody gonna stick it to the end of a journey." Nick said honestly, "We damn near brothers so you stuck with me."

"Them group home days seem so far away." He muttered, his memories hazy. So much had happened and he hoped Kaydence never experienced any of it.

"They do and don't at the same time,"Nick affirmed, smiling after a pause, "I'm happy we made it out, and made something of ourselves because everybody else ain't so lucky."

Kentrell's mind flashed to Joe, and he swallowed down sadness.

"Yeah they ain't."He needed to get his mind off his ex, "Ain't you supposed to be catching me up on some gossip."