Chapter 6

Caroline's POV

"So Klaus," Lizzie looks up from her conversation with Kol and toward Klaus. Everyone is sitting somewhere around the main living room - Kol and Lizzie talking, sometimes joining the conversation between Davina and I. Hope is sitting on the ground texting someone - presumably Landon not that she's allowed to tell him about her father being back - whilst absentmindedly petting the sleeping dogs. Klaus is sitting contently and drawing something on a fresh sketch pad that he picked up the other day.

"Elizabeth." I warn.

"What? I'm not going to say anything bad." She whines, Klaus sighing and looking up from the paper.

"Yes, Elizabeth."

"Lizzie." She corrects before continuing. "So what's the deal with you and my mum?"

"Lizzie!" Hope squeals, sending my daughter a death glare, telling her not to ruin anything.

Klaus chuckles under his breath and looks at me.

You told them? His eyes whisper.

I didn't, they just found out. Mine whisper back.

Klaus turns back to Lizzie. "I'm not sure I know what you mean, Sweetheart?" He replies coyly.

"Oh, right. My bad, I didn't explain that well enough." She apologises. "I meant what was the deal with you and my mum when you boned in the woods ages ago and how does it relate to the deal between you and my mum now in the present day?"

I put my palm to my forehead and inwardly groan at her. I catch Hope's pupils widening and she pretends to zone further into her phone, wanting nothing to do with this conversation. Kol lets out a small laugh before he can stop himself. Davina, seeming to genuinely not care, just grabs her book from beside her and begins reading in her head, though I do see a hint of pure respect for Lizzie on her face. And Klaus, well Klaus just looks over at me with raised eyebrows and a smirk on his face.

I shake my head at him. No.

Klaus opens his mouth to reply, his eyes gleaming mischievously.

Klaus! No. I shout at him again with my eyes as he turns back to my daughter.

"Well, I don't know." He says cheekily and looks back at me. "Why don't we ask your mother?" She looks at me as well. "Go on, Love." Klaus encourages, clearly enjoying himself and I send him the most aggravated death glare he might have ever received. And I'm willing to bet he's received a lot of death glares.

Suddenly, Davina decides to save me, though I can't tell if it's brought on by her loyalty to me or her deep-seeded need to annoy her brother-in-law. Either way, I'll take it.

"You know what girls?" Hope and Lizzie turn to her. "It's time for bed."

"What?" Lizzie argues while Hope just nods and stands up, grateful to have a way out of the conversation.

"Yep, it's one a.m, and it's time for bed."

"But-"

"No buts, let's go. Come on." She shoos the girls out of the room and I give her a thankful look. Davina then grabs Kol's hands and pulls him up. "I have something to show you in the library." She says to him and they leave too and Klaus and I are left alone.

"Seriously?" I shout at him.

Klaus just laughs - I'm sure found this all very entertaining - and I flick a hair tie at him.

"Ouch." He says sarcastically when it hits him on the shoulder.

I sigh. "I loathe you."

Klaus looks like he wants to say something back but doesn't. I see it in his eyes though, those three words that have always been unspoken between us. That neither of us have ever really said out loud to the other.