12- Dream Hunt

Here we are, flying through the air, like the day we first met, but this time it feels more natural, I know how to hold on, and I am not afraid of what he thinks of my heart racing, or my laugh. It has only been three years, but it feels like he has always been here, like all of the Sully's have. 

"Tell me everything!" I demand eagerly.

"Don't you know everything?" It's true, I have learned all about ikran and every other creature on Pandora.

"I want to hear you say it." I say coyly. I feel him take a deep breath.

"After you make Tsaheylu with an ikran that chose you, you must take first flight together, to seal and solidify the bond. Ikran will only bond with one rider in their lifetime. A rider may have multiple ikran in their life, but only after their previous one passes." He turns his head, looking at me over his shoulder. I give him a little smile.

"As you know, making the connection allows you to guide and control them, but it takes time and practice to build your relationship. You have to earn their respect and trust, and eventually you will ride without having to think at all." He looks back at me again, I push a stray braid back into place behind his ear. "Some die trying to tame them, the ikran must choose you." He explains.

"Yes I did know all of that." I admit, he rolls his eyes. "Does Tsaheylu feel different than with  pa'li?" I have ridden direhorses many times, but the bond with ikran is much stronger.

"It is similar, but it is more personal, you feel their emotions, and they feel yours, you become one. I do not know how to explain it, but yes it is different." I nod and lean my my on his shoulder, running my hands down his arms, bringing back an image of the night of Neteyam's Uniltaron, the Dream Hunt. 

--

Although I had assisted in countless Uniltaron before Neteyam's, I had never felt anxious during any of them until that night. As one of the final Rites of Passage, it is naturally one of the most dangerous, next to Iknimaya and Ikranä Maktoyu. Neteyam being the incredible Na'vi he is, he became a full, true Omatikaya at a younger age than most. We were fifteen, a few months after we had first met. Jake and Neytiri were nervous for him to attempt this rite, but Mo'at insisted. 

-

"You will prepare Neteyam." Mo'at's voice breaks through my thoughts, I blink a few times to gather myself. I always get hyperfixated when she brings the kali'weya out. They are probably the only creatures on Pandora I actually fear.

"Sorry, what did you say?" I ask politely, not wanting to disrespect the most powerful woman in the clan. Not now. She smiles and touches my head. 

"That mind of yours..." She trails off, handing me a bowl of ceremonial white powder. My eyes widen. "You will prepare Neteyam." 

"Oh," I mutter, speechless. ME?!?! "Um, may I ask, why me?" Someone close to him is supposed to do it. I only met this boy recently, we are friends but, he is Kiri's brother, we are not that close! I don't understand how one of his fan girls hasn't insisted on taking up the role already. 

"Safi, he trusts you. You have witnessed many attempt the dream hunt. He will need reassurance... his siblings do not possess your knowledge." She explains, then leaves me, returning to her duties. I am frozen, staring at the bowl in front of me. She is right, Kiri and Lo'ak have not bore witness to the dream hunt, they have not had anyone close to them attempt it yet. I squeeze my eyes shut, mustering courage.

Mo'at gave you a task, you have to carry it out. EYWA! Why am I so difficult? Just move your feet and find Neteyam. I take a deep breath and open my eyes, laser focused on my duties. I walk up the spiraled inner structure of the Home Tree remains, towards the small crackling fire. A figure sits in front of it, as I approach I ascertain it is indeed Neteyam. I stop for a second to take another breath, collecting myself. You can do this, he is your friend, he needs you calm, he will notice if you are anxious, you cannot ruin this for him.