14. they're getting louder

[the hunger games series: catching fire]➴➵➶➴➵➶➴➵➶

➴➵➶➴➵➶➴➵➶

        Cameron wasn't sure how long she was standing outside of the jungle before she heard it. Screams. Her head turned back to the jungle, trying to pinpoint exactly where the noise was coming from, but she couldn't. She covered her ears as she heard it once more. The noise was surprisingly familiar like she had heard it before. "Finnick," she mumbled under her breath, her hand reaching toward the crossbow at her side. "It's gotta be him."

She was about to march off into the jungle when she felt a strong hand on her shoulder. Cameron looked back, her eyes meeting Johanna's stern gaze. "And where do you think you're going off by yourself? Not a good move Cameron."

Cameron bit her lip carefully, glancing at the thick trees behind her. "They're in danger," she said simply.

Johanna raised her brow, "Who's in danger?" she asked.

"Katniss and Finnick," Peeta said, instantly appearing at the girl's side. "Come on, we're going," he insisted. Johanna sighed as Peeta pushed past the two of them, rushing into the wooded area. Cameron gave Johanna a small nod as she followed Peeta into the jungle, pushing the stray leaves aside with the edge of her crossbow. Cameron looked over her shoulder to see Johanna roll her eyes before taking off after the pair.

Cameron's head snapped to the left as she heard another loud scream, she felt her heart practically beat out of her chest as she and Peeta began to run toward the noise. She ran until she felt like she was out of breath, heaving as she stopped in front of a large clearing. She peered in between a group of large trees, watching as Finnick and Katniss punch the air.

Cameron tried to run forward, but she bounced back onto the dirt as soon as she hit the barrier. Johanna helped the girl to her feet. "There are barrier blocks," she stated. "We can't through to them," she explained.

"Then how the hell can we hear them?" she hissed, wiping the dirt off of her jumpsuit, her eyes darting everywhere in the jungle, trying to find a way into the sector. A way to Finnick and Katniss.

"I don't know, but there's no way in," Johanna repeated calmly.

"Bullshit," Cameron spat. "If we can hear them. If we can see them. There has to be a way to get to them," she insisted. With that, she grabbed an arrow from her sachet and began to hack away at the barrier blocks, trying to find a way into the clearing. But nothing seemed to be working. She could feel frustration building up in her chest as she continued to berate the barrier with the tip of her arrow. BANG. BANG. BANG.

She exhaled before trying once more. BANG. BANG. BANG. Still no movement from the barrier blocks.

BANG. BANG. BANG.