Chapter Eight 𐮛 The Abyss Consumes

Start from the beginning

A shrill screech echoed in the night air, the chant of the orcs stopping abruptly. Her heart plummeted to her stomach, and she jumped to ready a spell, fumbling her spear in her hands.

"So, it begins." Théoden could be heard saying grimly, and [Y/n] could almost shit herself as she heard the crowd roar into attack, soldiers immediately preparing their arrows and hastily drawing their shields. She was glad that Elves had joined them last minute, but it was still a small addition to an already small army. From what she could see, the Orc army looked ten times larger than theirs.

The special spell she had been keeping up her sleeve began to brew in her chattering mouth, but she was hesitant in releasing it. If she failed, she would get badly injured, or worse, die. She decided against using it for now, and instead resorted to some spells she had used on the creature of Moria, leaving her spear in her least dominant hand.

"Take that!" She shrieked, slashing her hand in the air, red streaks of plasma riding out in lightning speed, hitting Orcs in the middle grounds. However, in her dramatic casting (where she whipped her hands in front of her like she was in an invisible knife duel) she accidentally tripped over the ledge of her platform, plummeting into some scaffolding. Rushing to her feel, she dusted herself off and ignored the dull ache that began to throb in her posterior. Luckily her armour had caught most of the brunt, but she still limped a little.

She hopped down to the level Legolas and Gimli were situated on, choosing a spot where she will be able to shoot out her spells safely. Standing on some scaffold, she used more of her plasma spells, cutting the heads off many enemies, and even knocking some back from their ladders as they attempted to climb the wall. She could almost laugh from how they screamed and fell back, scattering like rats.

She could hear Gimli barking something to Legolas, not yet noticing her presence. What the... are they playing a game? She blinked in shock, mentally noting their oddly cheery behaviour, seeing how smug Legolas looked. It seemed he didn't notice her either, which was good in itself — it means she can continue keeping her ground here rather than next to the king where her aim wasn't the best.

Before she could shoot another plasma spell, an arrow came whistling towards her. Gasping, she held her arms up against her head, and it luckily deflected against the metal. That was close! She thought while hyperventilating, and tried to remember the words for a shield spell.

"AH!" She exclaimed as more arrows came flying her way — it looked like the Orcs noticed her before her friends could, and were trying to take her out as quickly as possible. Blurting out the shield spell, a screen of light resembling a red silk sheet had appeared before her, stopping the arrows mid air. Not knowing what to do with them, she just dropped the arrows, and the men gratefully took some for themselves underneath her. Her head was beginning to throb, the more she spat out her spells, but with sheer force, she soldiered on and ignored it like it wasn't even there.

Unfortunately, some orcs have come pouring in from her left, rushing particularly to her. Gulping the lump in her throat, she shot some of them with simple shards that fabricated from her digits, piercing into their armour and some even managing to nestle into their necks. Slowly, her feet shuffled backwards as the orcs drew closer to her, no matter how much she shot at them with her magic.

Legolas noticed the peculiar pattern the orcs ran in, and looked to his right, wondering why they're trying to siege the East wing. Much to his horror, he saw [Y/n]'s struggling figure, looking like she was getting swarmed from where he stood.

"[Y/n]!" He called to her, but she didn't hear him, too busy dealing with her own mess. He couldn't pay too much attention to her before being attacked again by a snarling goblin, distracting him from her.