The Girl behind the Throne Chapter 20

Start from the beginning

“Shut up! Im not short, im just vertically challenged”. I shot back angrily, bastard, picking on my height- that was a low blow.

“Yeah yeah, you make hobbits look like Amazonians”. He said in a smug voice, I fumed sagging back in my bed.

“Yeah well Shrek, everyone’s little compared to you”. I shot back, smugly smiling myself now. I heard him laugh at the other end of the line. “Is there a reason that you are ringing me at such an ungodly hour?” I asked looking at the clock.

“You mean besides talking to your charming self?” He said sarcastically making me laugh, “I have to get my suit finished for a premiere on Saturday, do you think I can come by for a fitting?” He asked in a low voice, that I will admit sent small shivers up my spine.

I leaned back, trying to think what guard would be on tomorrow, remembering that I was Rory who worked on a Thursday. “Yeah that’s fine, I can get you an entrance pass, but you have to be gone in the evening, I have a date”. I said remembering Jamie’s note.

“Oh a date? Am I finally going to meet this mysterious boyfriend?” jasper said huskily, I rolled my eyes. I heard a woman in the background moaning “jasper, come back to bed”. I laughed and heard jasper curse under his breath, “don’t be so rude you can tell im on the phone” he said in a harsher voice than he had ever used with me. I took in a sharp breathe and was frowning.

“Calm down jasper, its fine ill talk to you tomorrow” I said down the phone to him still frowning, I heard him sigh heavily.

“Fine, sweet dreams Tess”. He breathed down the phone just before I hung up. I lay back in my bed frowning as I fell asleep.

**

“So is he married?” Jasper asked as I pinned up the extra material around his leg. I sighed pulling the pin out from its grip between my teeth and looked up at him.

“No he is not married, im not that kind of girl”. I said shaking my head, we had been playing who's Tess’s secret boyfriend for an hour. So far he had guessed everyone from the chauffer at the palace to a secret agent.

“I know you’re not, but you haven’t given me much to go by”. He said with a smile. I looked up at his huge frame, my breath caught in my throat. He wasn’t as beautiful as Jamie was in a suit but there was a glint in jasper’s eye that made him instantly sexy bypassing the beautiful.

“Well let’s just say that he’s a major step up from my last boyfriend”. I said taking the sleeves back of his jacket, the manly smell of him filling my nose.

Jasper laughed at this, a deep belly laugh that made the hand I was working around shake. “Why who was your last boyfriend?” he asked turning his wrist up so i could get to the inseam better

“Liam Blackwood”. I said in a flat voice that made jasper laugh again. I looked up at him and shot him a wry grin. I grabbed more pins from the pin box.

“That little bastard?” He said hooting; I looked at him and nodded pulling my curls up into a ponytail. I looked over and jasper was staring at my stretching body- no longer laughing.