32. Friends Share Secrets

Start from the beginning

I paused then, and it was hard not to laugh. That made me sad as well; Lyra didn't really know, but if she even thought Mum was lying to me, she wanted me to know the truth. I had to reassure her.

"I know," I said. "I mean... It's not quite like that. I know that..." and then I drifted off into my own thoughts for a long few moments. I wanted to talk to somebody in a similar situation, and I needed a way to know if she was really happy to play like this. I didn't want to tell her the truth, because she would hate her parents for that and it might make her even more rebellious than before. But I started to wonder if there was something kind of truth-adjacent that I could tell her, that would let us have a conversation about the important bits without leading her to distrust her parents if they really weren't upsetting her.

"It's..." I started again. "Mum thought Sarah might have the same thing you've got. She started treating her a bit like a baby, just to help her get used to it. Before it went too far. And then I was... a little bit jealous. There was a bit of me that wished it might be me turning back into a baby. Of course, I didn't know what was going on then. Just that Mum was treating Sarah like a little kid again, and I had to do some of her chores. But then..." Another pause, but this time it was easier to think of something I could say, so that Lyra could understand how I felt. "With me, they recognised this regression syndrome earlier, because Mum was already watching out for the signs. It's early enough that... there's still a possible cure. It's a little bit risky, so the doctors say Mum can choose to try it or not. And I asked her not to, because I kind of... it's embarrassing, but I want to be looked after like a baby. And if you're going through this, you're my friend. I'd rather go through it together. So maybe that's why..."

"So she thinks if you see a slice of my life, when I can't think for myself... she thinks you might change your mind?"

"She wants me to be sure this is really what I want. That's probably what they meant by letting me get used to it. I'm not sure if she told your mum the whole story or not. But it's just..."

Then Lyra laughed, and returned to pushing toys around the carpet. Any nerves that she'd had seemed to have evaporated, and it seemed like nothing mattered so much as the bright lumps of plastic.

"You knew more than me," she said. "I should have guessed, you're always the smart one. You figure everything out first. So you'd really be a baby with me? So I still got a friend?"

"Yeah," I said. "Well, for me really. I'm fed up of being the smart one, always overthinking everything. I want a break from thinking. Do you think I'm crazy? Would you jump at a cure if there was a chance it would work?"

"You're..." she said, and then hesitated. "I don't know. I mean, you said about chores. And it's neat not having to do them anymore.I didn't really think how much free time that gave me. And like I said, it's kind of like getting high, but easier. It just happens sometimes. And... everybody keeping an eye on me, being here all the time... I never thought before how safe it makes me feel. I mean, yeah. Maybe. If I could just flip a switch and go back to normal, I probably would. But like, it's not too bad. I don't know what I can do when my brain switches off, though. Did you think about that? Like... what things will still be fun? I think I'll get frustrated with the simple toys sooner or later."

"Do you remember Pocket Cats on TV?" I asked. "That was so funny. But you see Merlin do all those rube goldberg devices, and it's like I couldn't enjoy the humour so much anymore, because I'm always spotting the ways they wouldn't work. And the puzzles are too easy. But if my brain switches off, maybe I could enjoy it again. It's stuff like that, where I like the cartoon but I spoil it for myself by thinking too much."

"Ohhh..." Lyra said. "Maybe you're right. I should try that, maybe there's a plus side. Look for the silver lining, right?"

It was only a couple of minutes later that Lyra's mum came in again, and offered us lunch. Today I saw a little childish enthusiasm in my friend's enthusiasm. It was a simple dinner, with a whole variety of finger food to choose from. Probably my favourite items were chunks of fruit and vegetables with a could of little cuts that somehow made them look like stylised animals. It was just the kind of thing you could use to get a toddler excited about their food.

Mum arrived while we were eating, and stood by the door. She was watching us with a smile, and after a while Lyra's mum went over to talk to her, leaving Melania to keep an eye on the kids. I was sure that a part of the conversation was asking how I had been, like every concerned parent.

Their whispers were interrupted when Lyra decided she'd had enough carrot rabbits and leapt down from the chair, haring off towards the lounge again. I laughed and followed, assuming that some of the grown-ups would be along shortly with our drinks. It was wonderful, not having to think about even the smallest thing. This time we were playing with a couple of rag dolls, and I felt that Lyra was feeling more comfortable, throwing herself into the game now she knew that I wouldn't judge her. I thought that her head wasn't too foggy right now, she could still have acted her real age if she tried, but she was so relieved to know that she still had a friend, and she was happy to play it up for now.

"Do you need a nap after dinner, sweetie?" her mum called a couple of minutes later. Lyra pouted, but I could see now I looked that her movements were getting more lethargic. I wasn't feeling sleepy yet, and I wondered what I would do if Lyra needed an afternoon nap. Was that a sign that it was almost time for me to go home? But I thought for a second while we played, and then glanced at our sippy cups. Mine was almost full, so I picked it up and sucked on sweet mango juice while Lyra took charge of making sure that the dolls had enough imaginary cake for their tea party.

It was only ten minutes before I found myself yawning, and I knew my guess was right.

"I'm getting sleepy..." I tried to say, but found the words turned into a muffled lisp, like my tongue was going slightly numb and wouldn't go where I wanted it. "Maybe your mum's right, we should have a nap."

"I wanna play," Lyra said, but I could tell that she was getting sleepy too.

"Maybe we'd better get you two some protection, just in case?" her mum said, coming over to us. "We all know accidents can happen if you're tired enough to nod off while you're playing. How would you like to–"

"I'm not a baby," Lyra snapped, and then looked around at me, while I let another yawn escape. "Okay, maybe a nap's okay. But I'm not a baby. I don't need..."

"It's okay," I told her. "Don't be embarrassed about me being here. Better safe than sorry, right? And Mummy knows what's best."

"Mummy knows what's best, and a good baby should listen," Lyra mumbled, and I could see her smile returning. We'd been reading the same book at some point, helping us to get into the right mental space.

"Good girl," Lyra's mum said. "Let's get you ready for a little nap, and then you can be wide awake to play later."

"Oh!" Mummy said, as they led us up to Lyra's room. "I almost forgot, I got a sample of some new wipes. I brought them with me, do you want to give them a try?" After that, I could feel my excitement building faster. As Mummy put me in diapers ready for my nap, I couldn't help peering sideways to catch a glimpse of the wipes she was using, which turned out to have a print of orchids on the packet. They smelled a little like flowers too, so I knew that they were something I hadn't tried before.

Once we were changed, I got Lyra's bed while her mum lifted her into what looked like an outsized crib in the corner. I looked across at her with a smile, and squirmed in excitement as I tried to imagine what might be different about this naptime. But even the excitement couldn't keep me awake once whatever had been in the juice kicked in, and ten minutes later we were both fast asleep.