He catches a pair of chocolate eyes in the crowd and can't help the small smile spreading across his lips. She doesn't mirror his kind gesture as she scoots forward on the edge of her seat, a deep frown settling in between her brows. Though they hold stares for mere seconds, it is enough for Romeo to notice that flash of concern in her eyes.

He smirks, pulling his gloves off and using the pad of his thumb to wipe the trickle of blood staining the corner of his mouth.

Isla looks away, mumbling something in Nora's ear, but he knows he isn't going insane—she cares, though she won't ever admit it.

Romeo still feels like being the winner.

♣ ♣ ♣

"Hey, Ma', where are you?"

Pulling the hood of his sweater over his head, Romeo settles comfortably on his sofa, putting his feet up on the coffee table. He stares at his screen, watching his mother place her phone on a table as she leans back in her seat.

"Seychelles," Sibylle says with a wide smile. She brings her sunglasses atop her head, her blonde fringe still baring her forehead.

Evidently sitting on a terrace, the beach in the background makes Romeo sigh with envy. When he looks outside, all he can see is a gloomy sky and a threat of rain ready to drown his town.

"Your father is trying to sell this gorgeous villa down the road," she continues, putting a cigarette in between her rouge lips before bringing a lighter up.

He puts a hand behind his head. "Anyone interested?"

Sibylle nods, inhaling deeply before letting a puff of smoke out of her mouth. "You know that singer from the band your sister likes?" She grabs a glass of wine from out of nowhere, the cigarette held in between two fingers whilst she brings the glass up to her lips. "Come on, help me here, Rome. He's pretty cute for someone your age—"

"Mom," he grumbles.

"What?" she exclaims sheepishly. She takes a sip of the white wine, before leaning forward to look at Romeo. She waves a finger at her screen. "What happened to your face?"

Romeo diverts his gaze to the little square on the left corner of his phone to stare at his reflection. He winces at the sight of his bruised jaw and abused lip.

"Hockey fight," he explains quietly. "I'm fine. I'm used to it."

"I know, honey." Romeo snorts softly when he observes Sibylle act so unfazed. She's seen Romeo is worse states than with a mere bruise on his face. "Be careful, though."

"I will."

Romeo listens intently to his mother talk about her trip around South Africa, a small smile on his lips.

"I miss you, Ma'," he cuts in when she goes on about planning a safari.

Sibylle's features soften. She and Romeo have the same eyes: a clear turquoise, almost like the ocean with golden flecks swimming around the pupils. Whilst Sibylle has dirty blonde hair, Romeo has inherited of Rob's dark locks and dimples.

She smiles. "I miss you, too, Rome. And your sister. We'll be back for Thanksgiving—I promise."

He nods, looking away when he sees Ezra walk into the kitchen dressed in nothing but boxer briefs. "I know."