Chapter 6:Phase 1

Start from the beginning

'Now then the tenth question, those who don't want to take it raise your hand. Your number will be recorded and then you're free to go.' Finished Ibiki.

After a while the person next to Naruto cracked 'I'm out.' He said and apologised to his teammates.

As soon as this happened many more quit. Sakura watched Naruto. She knew Naruto would never raise his hand.

"I can't let you do this to yourself Naruto." Thought Sakura while she begun to raise her hand.

"Naruto your teammate is about to raise her hand" Kurama

Naruto raised his hand.Many people were shocked at this turn of events but then Naruto started to talk.

"You don't have that kind of authority to ban someone from taking the chunin exams. You are not a Kage. Also other Kage can simply host the chunin exams in their village or promote their own ninja." Naruto

"So are you willing to take the last question" Ibiki

"Yes"Naruto

'This decision is one that could change your life. If for any reason you would rather quit, now is your last chance.' Said Ibiki

'Giving up is for losers and I Naruto Ulquiorra Cifer am certainly not a loser "Replied Naruto

"Interesting his words has given the others some backbone. He has persuaded them into staying. Seventy eight left, more than I expected, but I don't see anyone wavering I think that's it." Thought Ibiki while looking around.

The Chunin nodded to him and he nodded back. 'Well then I admire your determination, if nothing else for those of you remaining there is only one thing left to do and that's for me to tell you. You all pass the first exam.' Said Ibiki.

'What, do you mean we pass where is the tenth question?' Asked Sakura.

'There wasn't one or at least not a written one, your decision to stay here was the answer to the tenth question.' Said Ibiki smiling widely.

'So does that mean those other nine questions you gave us were just a waste of time? Is that what you're saying?' Asked Temari.

'No not at all, quite the opposite. They had a very important underlying purpose, the first nine questions were to test your ability to surreptitiously gather strategic intelligence under the most adverse circumstances.' Informed Ibiki.

'Oh well that clears up everything.' Said Temari confused.

'Let me explain. My objective was to test how well you function as a part of a team which is why you were scored as a team so you would know that everything you would do, or fail to do would affect your teammates. I wanted to see how you would cope with the pressure. The first nine questions on the test were difficult or as you may have realised, too difficult for any Genin to be able to solve. I imagined many of you quickly realised you had to cheat to have any chance of passing. In fact the test was designed to encourage cheating, it almost demanded it. Of course it would have done you little good if you had no one to cheat from which is why I had two Chunin disguised to sit in with you. Those who were caught at it failed. Better not to cheat than to cheat clumsily. Information, it can be the most valuable weapon in battle. How well you gather it can be the difference between failure and success. There will be times when you will have to risk your life to get in.' said Ibiki taking off his forehead protector and revealing a mangled skull.

'Man what a mess. Scars and puncture wounds, what he must have endured.' Whispered Sasuke.

'Of course you must always consider the source of your information. Intelligence gathered from the enemy is not necessarily accurate, always bear this in mind, disinformation can be worse than no information at all. It can lead to the death of comrades or the loss of a village. That's why I put you in the position that you would have to gather accurate intelligence, cheat in order to survive and that's why those who weren't good enough at it were weeded out leaving the rest of you.' Finished Ibiki.

'Ok but I'm still not getting what the whole tenth question thing is all about.' Said Temari.

'You're not, the tenth question was the whole point of the exam surely you see that?' Asked Ibiki.

'Sure but explain it anyway.' Said Sakura.

'As I said before the purpose was to test you as part of a squad not just individuals. The final question gave you two options, both difficult, play it safe knowing that, that would mean you fail or take a risk and possibly be stuck as a Genin forever. It was a no win situation, the type Chunin have to deal with everyday. Let me give you a hypothetical, you need to retrieve a sacred document. You have no idea how many ninja there are guarding it furthermore you have reason to believe they expect you. Can you pass up the mission to live another day? No of course not. Many missions Chunin take appear almost suicidal if you think about them, but you do not think about them, you think only of accomplishing the mission through courage and discipline. These are the qualities required of a Chunin squad leader. Those who choose the safer of two paths, those whose determination would falter in the face of adversity, those who would put their comrades lives in jeopardy worrying about their own lives, those who would save their necks at the price of sacred honour will never be able to call themselves Chunin, at least while I'm around. As for the rest of you, you have successfully answered the ten questions I put to you. You have earned the right to continue on with the next step. You have passed through the first gate and I hereby declare this part of the Chunin selection exams completed. There is nothing left but to wish you all good luck.' Said Ibiki.

Just then something flew through the window. Two kunai attached to a cloth were thrown into the roof and a person emerged. The person had light brown, pupil-less eyes. Her violet hair was done up in a short, somewhat spiky ponytail. She was wearing a tan overcoat, complete with a fitted mesh body suit that stretched from her neck down to her thighs. She wore a dark orange mini-skirt, as well as a leaf forehead protector, a small pendant that looked like a snake fang on a thick cord rather than a chain to prevent it from being easily torn off in combat, a wrist watch, and shin guards. She also wore a dark blue belt around her waist that connected to her skirt that had an appendage-like sash.

'This isn't the time to be celebrating. I'm your next proctor, Anko Mitarashi.' Said the woman.

Tbc