Chapter 1 : What Have I Done?

At the time, I didn't know what was coming. I was oblivious to what would happen and even now, I regret it. Surely this is what I have to endure as penance for not being able to save her that day. Now it's happening all over again but to someone else that I love. I don't care what happens to me but please, oh god, please, let him survive.

- 1 year ago -

I was so convinced that I marked him correctly, making sure that he was in front of me and that the possibility of him hitting anywhere else other than here is close to nothing. But I was wrong. He was gone and away from my point of view in a split second and I was unable to keep up with his overwhelming speed.

'I-I don't understand,' I thought in disbelief as the orange haired boy managed to hit a ball on the other side of the court with such precision. I was so sure that he would be here, with his build and athletic ability there was no way he could have been on the other side within seconds. I judged him wrong. The whistle blew, and the referee indicated that the ball was out and the winning point to the match was ours. But even though we won, I didn't feel as if we did. I have never met a volleyball player that has made me feel so overwhelmed- I hated it. This uneasy feeling in my chest, what was it?

I stared at to the boy standing behind the net, trying to figure out what it is that he has. What makes him so different from the rest. He could be a hundred times better if he only had the proper training and skill. His eyebrows furrowed forward and his lips trembled; he was trying hard to keep his composure. But I could tell that the thoughts churning within his head were similar to my own. He wanted nothing more than to stay on the court, to be on the winning side. He and I were the same.

I wanted to reach out and hold his hand in mine, to bring him onto the winning side and see what it's like. To erase the sadness from his eyes and replace it with joy. I wanted to see him smile and call for one of my tosses over and over and over again. To stand by his side even if it was just for a second.

"Hinata! We have to line up,..." a teammate called out to him, grabbing a hold of his hand and pulling him away from the court. Pulling him away from me.

Snapping out of my thoughts I made my way back to my own respective line and bowed. I was stupid for thinking that Hinata could ever be by my side. We were two different people with two different motives. It's likely that we would never meet each other again.

But still, I wanted Hinata despite the promise I made years ago. And the fact that this orange haired boy made me want to do so is even more the reason why I shouldn't associate myself with him. It was a mistake to even let myself get so carried away with the thought of him.

As I made my way out of the gymnasium I couldn't help but notice the way my teammates whispered to one another in front of me. Every now and then they'd look back at me and snicker. Standing alone behind all of them.. It didn't even feel like I was part of a team. I was an outsider looking in, and I could only imagine what it feels like to depend on someone. I've always been the type to avoid people and treat them harshly if they were to get close to me. I do so in order to protect myself, because if I were to care for someone or something and they left me... Having that bond ripped away from me would leave a scar deep within my chest. I've already lost one person in my life, I don't need to lose another one. It would just be best if I was alone and then no one would have to get hurt because of me. It's-

"Kageyama!"

I turned around to see Hinata staring back at me with wide, teary eyes. Why did he chase me out here? Why of all times did he have to come when I was at my lowest? I stared back at him with the same expression he wore, minus the tears. He barely knows me, yet he's decided to share a part of himself with such a person like me. It was then, that the walls that I had built so high in order to protect myself came crashing down before my very eyes because of a boy named Hinata.

What have I done?