ᴛᴇɴ

April 7, 2019

Sreedevi

What's wrong with him?

I have been noticing since yesterday. Ajay is acting totally wierd. Day before yesterday he lost his job. I know how hard it would be for a workaholic like him to lose job. But does that make a person act wierd?

Yesterday when I was correcting the answer papers, he sat opposite to me and kept staring me and the papers. I thought he would have been hungry, but No. He came behind me everywhere and end up sleeping with me.

Today when I opened my eyes from sleep, I almost jerked as he was already staring me examining me. He averted his gaze and got up from the bed wishing me a good morning which was so unusual.

Morning, He didn't make any move to prepare the breakfast. So I started making breakfast by the left over batter. He joined me and started making tomato chutney.

Later, I took all the dried clothes from the cloth dryer stand and put the another set of washed clothes to dry. He joined me and helped me to put the clothes to dry. He also stood by me and folded the dried clothes silently.

While making lunch, he got a call and was busy in his room. By the time he returned, I finished cooking. He was visibly disappointed.

Evening, I got a call from my friend Asif. He is the one and only close friend of mine who has seen a different Sreedevi from others. His native is Salem but he studied in coimbatore for his UG&PG. He was staying in the house next to mine. As we were studying in the same college, we used to go to college together.

He has called me after a long time. I talked to him for 34 minutes. Ajay was watching me all the time pretending like checking his laptop. His face turned into a frown everytime I laughed. I am pretty sure that Ajay might have not seen me laughing all these years.

And I have never told him about Asif, so he might be confused. Anyways I dont care.

He was looking at me now and then the rest of the day.

Even now he is looking at me through the corner of his eyes while chopping onions.

I have heard that people who are addicted to something gets mentally affected when they lose it. I stop kneading the dough and gasp.

Has he lost his mind?

"Ennachu?"

I come out of trance hearing him. I shake my head as a nothing and continue kneading the dough. I can sense him staring my hands. I gather all my courage and look up at his face sternly. He jerks a little.

"Enna pathut irukinga?" I take the hands off the dough and rests it on my hip.

He visibly gulps at my stern voice. He clears his throat and moves front towards me.

"Athu.. Maavu ipdi pesaya koodathu.. Thallu" He gently pushes me to a side and starts kneading on his own.

All these one and a half years, I was the one who knead the dough and the method of kneading was also same. But what wrong did I do now? Ajay starts kneading the dough and I dont find any difference in our ways of kneading.

When he lost his job, I expected him to be depressed and may act harsh towards me. But he is acting completely different from what I have expected. Which is scaring me.

I slowly cut the onions followed by the tomatoes. I still feel him looking at me but I ignore it. For a second I forget what I am going to cook right now.

Wait yes butter chicken!

I switch on the pan and add a spoon of butter onto it followed by the onions. I sauté it until the onion turn a bit brownish. I add tomatoes, cashew nuts and some water to it. I glance sideways, Ajay has finished kneading the dough. I add salt and some sugar in the pan.

"Antha garam masala konjam edunga"

I request him and he passes the all spice powder. He takes all the other powders from the shelf and stacks it up on the counter. I stare him in disbelief. He looks at me and raises his eyebrows as a what. I shake my head and concentrate on putting the garam masala.

Ajay takes the washed chunks of chicken in a bowl. He adds ginger garlic paste, red chilly powder and salt and mix it well. He keeps it aside while I let the gravy boil for 15 minutes. He takes the dough and starts rolling it to make round chapatis.

"Yaaru athu"

He asks me out of nowhere.

"Yaaru?" I ask him back.

"Athaan phone la" he says without looking at me.

Ivaruk ethuk antha information uh?

I frown. This is the first time, Ajay asking something interfering my privacy. Moreover, this is the first time him asking something unnecessary for him.

"Ohh athu en friend" I keep it simple.

"Ohhhh... Ana nee da pottu koopdra maari irunthuch" He says.

"Ama avana naa da pottu thaa koopduven" I shrug.

Ajay stops in his action and looks at me.

"Avana? Ambalaya?" He asks aghast. 

"Ama Asif"

Ajay stares me for sometime before replying with a simple 'ohh'

I frown at his behaviour. Why is he behaving so odd?

"Unakku pasanga friends lam irukangala? Unak friends irukang nu nenachale athisayama irukku"

He says and I felt offended. What the hell is he talking. Should I not have friends?

"Yen? Enak friends iruka koodatha?" U ask in a offended tone.

"Illaaa... Nee avlova friends oda ellam pesi naa pathath illa" he looks everywhere but me.

"Neenga enna innaik maari ennaikume enna 24 mann neramum pathuta irukinga?" I ask supressing my laughter.

Ajay looks at me with widened eyes and mouth.

"En.. Enna sonna??" He stutters.

"Unmaiya sonnen" I switch off the pan letting the gravy cool for sometime.

He coughs and looks away. I kept looking him waiting for an answer.

"Ath.. Naa summa nee enna panit iruntha nu pa.. pathen" his face turned red in embarassment.

I press my lips together controlling my laugh. I convert the gravy to the mixer grinder and blend it. He moves out of the kitchen totally embarassed.

I chuckle slightly and fry the marinated chicken. Later, I heat the pan again and pour the grinded gravy on it. I add a spoon of butter, some cream, the fried chicken and kasoori mehti on it.

I convert the gravy to a bowl and keep it aside and start preparing chapatis.

After preparing the chapatis, I arrange the food on the dining table. He comes out of his room and sit on the chair without meeting my eyes.

I serve him and myself and we eat the food silently. He looks mee through the corner of his eyes and averts his gaze immediately. I mentally chuckle at his childish behaviour.

He silently moves to kitchen after eating and cleans the kitchen. I take my own time to complete my dinner. I walk inside and he has almost finished washing the dishes. He was cleaning the sink. He moves aside and cleans the stove while I wash my plate. I keep the remaining curry on the refrigerator.

I move to my room to sleep but stops when I see Ajay walking to his room.

"Ac vendama??" I ask him.

"Il.. Illa.. Para.. Parava illa.. Kulura thaa irukuu" he says without meeting my eyes and hurries to his room.

I chuckle and move to my room.

I have no idea how the next 28 days are going to be with him.

Hey guys,

How was the chapter?

A very big sorry for not updating🤧

I know its been 11 days since I have updated.

I had severe stomach pain last week and after that I lost the flow of the writing.

Sorry guys! Will try to update soon.