①⓪

The whistle was blown and everything was silent. Nobody breathed.

And then screams. Karasuno had defeated the longtime powerhouse.

There was barely time to celebrate before the whistle was blown loudly again, and everyone froze. Eyes turn towards Shiratorizawa's side of the court as a medic runs on toward the front of the net.

Shiratorizawa's number 2 is on the floor, clutching at his knee.

"Those last jumps he did..." Coach Ukai mumbles.

"He didn't land one of them right... did he?" Takeda finished.

Breath is held again as what feels like the whole stadium holds its breath to await the verdict on the charming vice-captain who remains crumpled on the ground. He speaks to the medic who doesn't exactly look too happy about what he's saying.

Finally though, the medic nods and Ishii takes a few deep breaths as the medic waves over the second medic and gives him some instructions before turning back to help Ishii stand. The vice-captain doesn't let his left leg touch the ground.

"Shirabu, Yamagata, help me lineup," his voice is tight with pain as the audience watches him wrap his arms around his teammate's shoulders as they help him slowly hop over to the lineup. From there he slowly gains balance by briefly using Ushijima and Semi for support before he can stand on his own.

"Thank you for the game!" The two teams shout, bowing and then shaking hands (Ishii gets to the net via hopping along with Ushijima and Semi). Ishii manages to keep his balance long enough before he grabs onto Ushijima tightly as they come back up.

"I can carry you over—" Ushijima starts to say before Ishii cuts him off quickly.

"No. Don't touch my leg. Just help me get over there. Please?" He finishes softly.

Ushijima gives him a long glance before wrapping an arm around his waist to support him enough to help him hop carefully over to their fans.

"Thank you!" They shout, bowing.

As soon as they straighten up, tears in many players' eyes, the medics rush over, followed by— paramedics carrying a stretcher.

Ishii's teammates look at him, panicked. "It's alright guys, I'll be fine, I'll just get it checked up and I'll meet you back at school for a hundred serves each! Make sure you get a medal for me!" He waves cheerily as the paramedics lay him down on the stretcher.

They carry him away and the medics go over to the bench. Talking in whispers they speak with the coach briefly before handing him some papers. He nods solemnly and doesn't say anything more.

=

"After the ceremony, load the bus. We'll have our team huddle after we get back from visiting Ishii in the hospital." Washijo pauses before he walks away. "Then, 100 serves for each of you."

The awards ceremony happens after a pause to let the teams stretch and breathe for a while. Wakatoshi takes Aoki's medal with him, tucked safely in his bag next to his own.

Once on the bus, Washijo stands at the front and addresses the whole team. "We've received word from the hospital. Ishii isn't in the greatest condition at the moment. I'll let the hospital fill you in better but it will be a long time before he can play again, if at all."

The bus ride is solemn.

Once there, they're directed to Ishii's room by a nurse as she fills them in on his condition.

"From the report by the medics, he landed wrong on his last spike and tore his left ACL which is a ligament in the knee. He then proceeded to continue to play the last minute or so, including another jump for a block, furthering the tear of his ACL. However, he also managed to receive a stress fracture in his tibia, or shin, also in his left leg, likely before or at the start of the game, by ignoring the pain and symptoms he was likely experiencing he made it much worse for himself."