Epilogue [Part 2]

A/N: I know I already wrote an epilogue for this, but this one just popped into my head today and I really wanted to write it. I hope you enjoy :)

The world was bathed with a golden glow. The waters of the lake seemed to shimmer like diamonds in the midday sun, the grass seemed to glow like emeralds freshly hewn from rock, and as the bumblebees buzzed from blossom to blossom, their tiny wings caught the sun's rays like stained glass windows, casting tiny rainbows across the white picnic blanket. 

A young woman stared up at the sky above, her nose tickled by the scent of the flowers, her ears twitching as she listened to the hum of branches and the chirping melody of bluebirds that fluttered by in the robin-egg blue sky above. She could smell the scent of delectable crumpets and eclairs, of tarts and mini-cakes, made by her dear friends for their picnic in the field. She could feel the grass as it tickled the soles of her feet as they hung off the edge of the blanket, her shoes cast aside. She could hear the laughter of her companions as they walked along the edge of the lake, telling jokes and stories of years long past, dipping their toes into the cool spring lake, and sneezing as they smelled the daffodils that grew on the banks.

"My love? Are you still awake?"

Y/N Rosehearts' eyes fluttered open and she lifted a hand to shield her eyes from the sunlight. A shadow fell over her a moment later and she smiled when she realised that it was her darling husband, providing her with momentary shade as she woke from her doze. She pushed herself up so she was leaning on her arms, propping her torso up. Riddle knelt beside her and gently brushed a strand of hair away from her nose, tucking it back into the long h/c braid. 

"Where is Daisy," Y/N asked, leaning over and plucking a pastry from the platter sitting next to her husband. She bit into the end of the cream puff and moaned in delight, lying back down and folding an arm behind her head to act as a pillow. How long had it been since a spring day had been so perfect? How long had it been since she had been together with both family and friends to celebrate a simple spring day? Much too long. Much too long indeed.

"She's with Cater," Riddle said, moving so he was sitting next to Y/N. He gently stroked the hair closest to her face, making sure that the gentle spring breeze didn't tickle her nose. 

Riddle glanced down to the edge of the lake and smiled when he saw a little girl playing with his old friends. She sat atop Cater's shoulders, cheering as Cater used his magic to try and splash Che'nya, though he always ended up splashing Trey. It made Riddle's heart swell, watching his daughter playing with her "uncles" as she called them. It was as true a name as anything else. Though Che'nya was her only true uncle, all three of them cared for her as if she was their own daughter.

"We're here!"

Y/N opened her eyes and pushed herself up completely, smiling when she saw a large group of people emerging from the forest of oaks and willows behind them. Azul led the way with a large woven basket hanging from one arm, and a large present in the other. Jade and Floyd both had presents as well, though their arms were filled with small piles rather than a single present. Y/N rolled her eyes and got to her feet. She never thought that it was possible to spoil little Daisy more than Trey, Cater, and Che'nya did, but somehow, Jade, Azul, and especially Floyd, never failed to deliver. Even Malleus, who emerged from the shadows with Silver, Lilia, and Sebek, spoiled Daisy rotten. She was their little princess. 

"Uncle Azul!"

Y/N turned back to the lake and watched as Cater set Daisy down. The little three-year-old darted towards Y/N, and as she got closer, Y/N bent down and scooped her daughter into her arms, spinning her around before peppering her rosy cheeks with kisses. Daisy giggled and rubbed her cheeks.