Chapter 1: The Escape

Start from the beginning

(You can stop the music right here)

He paused to read a sign. "Seasoning City, huh?"

Mob resumed his journey as soon as he set foot inside Seasoning City, but it wasn't anything like he had imagined. It was filled with tall buildings, insanely bright lights, and a lot of people. It was starting to become a little overwhelming for Mob.

"Hey, kid," a raspy voice beckoned. "C'mere, would'ya?"

Mob turned his head in the direction of the voice until his eyes laid on what appeared to be either a homeless man or a crackhead, who had himself crouched inside an alleyway. Mob felt uncomfortable the minute the sketchy man smirked in a creepy-like fashion.

"You look like you're lost," the man spoke. "Mind if I show you the way?"

Mob shook his head. "No, thank you."

Before he could walk away, the man's moist and greasy hand clutched his arm tightly. "Listen, kid, I want you to give me everything you have."

"I don't have anything." Mob tried to release himself from the man's grip, but he couldn't. "I should get going."

"I don't believe you," the man shouted. "Empty your pockets now!"

Mob once again attempted to yank his arm away. "No!"

The man hissed and smacked Mob directly in the face, causing the escapee to stumble into a nearby garbage bin. Mob held his cheek with his trembling hand and flinched when the man began to search for pockets in the dirty hospital gown he wore. However, Mob's hospital gown didn't have any pockets, which only made the man more furious.

"Just what kind of kid walks around with no goods in his pockets?" the man accused. "What are you even wearing anyway? You're such a weirdo!"

"St-stay away from me..." Mob's voice quavered. He raised his arms out in front of his face for at least some sort of defense.

The man lifted his leg back, then used as much force as he could muster to kick Mob in the stomach. "You shouldn't have provoked me, kid."

He continued to kick and beat Mob, who was too tired to fight back. Mob prayed for it all to be over. He hated that he had already run into outside trouble. He desperately wanted this man to go away.

Thankfully, the man had gotten bored of beating Mob and left the alleyway. The abuse had ended as quickly as it had started. As soon as the man had left Mob's sight, Mob carefully stood back up and began wandering the city again, hoping he'd find a place to stay for the night.

As he walked, his leg started to limp badly. He also began to notice the odd stares he was receiving from many of the people he passed by. He couldn't quite figure out why though. He had the appearance of a normal kid, didn't he?

Still, he didn't feel normal in the loud and bright setting he was in. Everyone was talking projectively and it made Mob's ears ring in an uncomfortable way. He didn't like it at all.

A woman stopped him in his tracks just before he reached the crosswalk. "Are you alright? You're bleeding!"

Mob froze up and began to tremble. After that experience with the crackhead, there was no way he was going to trust this woman. He just stared at her wide-eyed.

"Young man, do you need help?" the woman looked back at him with concern.

She reached her hand out to try and comfort the boy, but Mob smacked her hand away and fled, quickly crossing the street. A couple of approaching drivers had to slam on their brakes when they saw Mob, and the sides of their cars collided. Some bystanders screamed when they noticed the commotion but Mob took no notice of them.