Chapter nine: "The needle or me"

Start from the beginning

- "Something like it."- I replied and cut her a short smile.

- "Are you planning on fixing things with baby genius? 'Cos he is a mess."- Garcia kept making questions, as my friend stared at me as if was wounded.

- "Not at work."

- "But why are you so upset? It's just a few days away before the wedding. I thought it was all set. Are you getting cold feet? Are you canceling the whole thing? Oh my god! Who cheated?!"

I opened my mouth but no word came out. I felt the tears filling my eyes as JJ and Prentiss stared at me in pure panic.

- "It doesn't matter what it was, what matters is that (Y/N) knows she can count on us, right?"- Prentiss almost whispering, reading my reaction- "And we won't ask you for any more details about what happened. We just wanted to know you were ok."

- "Thank you Emily."- I murmured and made my best to smile, but I knew I failed terribly.

- "Is there anything else we can bring you? Have you eaten today?"- JJ asked, concerned.

- "Yeah, I am ok. I just wanna finish all this paperwork before the weekend."

- "If you need to go out tonight, maybe talk about what happened, if you wanna stay with me, have a sleepover."- Pen suggested, but I quickly shook my head.

- "Thank you, but not tonight."

- "Of course, munchkin... just... please don't cancel the wedding! You and Reid are so perfect together! And no matter what he did, you can make him suffer! I can help! We all can! Just please don't crush his heart!"

Garcia blurted out all that information, making it even harder for me not to cry during work time. I hated to feel weak. And most of all, I hated to cry in front of my friends.

- "Can I ask you something?"- I looked at Prentiss and she nodded right away- "Can you bring me my purse and cell phone? Spencer must have them."

- "Of course"- she stood up and left the room in a second.

- "Do you need anything else?"- JJ stood up as well and grabbed Garcia's sleeve, practically dragging her off her chair.

- "No, thank you."

- "We'll come at lunchtime with something to eat."- I simply nodded and tried to resume to work. Swallow the sadness and the fears. Like it was something so easy to do.

- "There you go, (Y/N)."- Prentiss showed up a few minutes later with all my things.

- "Thank you, Em."

- "Don't worry, hon."- she walked to the door and held the knob for a second- "Just, think things through."

- "Of course."- I nodded as she left, leaving me alone with the tears and all the feelings I tried to bottle inside, and that came back to the surface.

It didn't help that as soon as I opened my purse, I found a note from Spencer. Of course, he had written something for me. I imagined him sleepless, writing that note, trying to gather all the words that might melt me.

I was tempted to read it, but I didn't want to cry at the FBI, so I left it in the bag and grabbed my phone. I texted Lu, Frank, and Mikey, letting them know I was ok. Then, I focused back on my work, 'cos I wanted to pass time with some time that kept my mind from thinking.

Spencer's point of view

That Thursday I got to the BAU at six am. I hadn't closed an eye during the entire night. After stopping at Frank's, I did the same at Mikey's, Lu's, and Sofìa's, I drove back home, still hoping maybe (Y/N) would find her way back to our shared apartment that night, to talk things.