Chapter nine: "The needle or me"

Start from the beginning

The elevator ride was eternal. Yet, I wished it would have lasted a little longer because no matter how prepared I thought I was, nothing prepared me to see Spencer pacing through the hall, waiting for me.

- "Chipmunk!"- he jumped as soon as he saw me and nearly ran to me. My heart stopped and my body flinched just at the sight of him. He looked so tired, so broken. Was it the angst of our fight or was it the drugs? I had no idea. Maybe both.

- "Chipmunk, you have to listen to me! Please!"- but I just walked away from him and headed straight to Hotch's office, not opening my mouth and making my best not to look at him.

- "(Y/N), please! I am so sorry, so sorry. Please, talk to me, listen to me. Let me explain."- if Spencer thought I had given JJ the cold shoulder, he had no idea what I had planned for him.

I walked into the bullpen with Reid following me close behind, still begging me to stop moving and listen to him. I was glad he hadn't put his hands on me yet, 'cos I wasn't sure how I would react to that. I refused to look at anyone around me 'cause I knew we were making a scene. Well not me, he was. As soon I reached Hotch's office I closed the door behind my back and looked at him. He was sitting at his desk, already going through some paperwork.

- "Sit down."- he commanded and I moved slowly- "I'm guessing you two haven't worked on whatever happened last night."- I shook my head and looked down at my hands on my lap, making a major effort not to cry. I knew Spencer was right outside that door, and I knew I was breaking his heart every minute I spent ignoring him. But he had broken mine first.

- "I'm sorry."- I whispered- "I know we promised we were not going to let our relationship get in the way of work, but I need you to keep him away from me today."

- "Why?"

- "I don't wanna face him just yet. I'm not ready."

- "(Y/N), you are grown up SSA, why do you insist on acting like a kid?"- I raised my eyes and met his steady gaze. He was serious, though his words sounded closer to a joke.

- "I don't know. I guess we are all fools in love."

- "What happened between you two is no one's business but yours."- Hotch stated - "But when you are at work, I hope you behave as a professional Special Agent of your range. Am I clear?"

- "Yes, sir."

- "You can take JJ's old office for today and I will give Spencer direct indications to leave you alone. But you have to fix whatever it is that's going on between you two as soon as possible."

- "I'll try. Thank you."- I stood up before I didn't want to cry righ there, and Hotch followed me. Just as I imagined, Spencer was right outside his door, waiting to talk to me, but our Unit Chief called him into his office, giving me time to vanish and hide in JJ's old office.

There I was, holding my empty coffee mug, staring at the computer screen when Penelope, Prentiss, and JJ walked in. The three of them seemed honestly concerned.

- "Hey there"- Emily whispered and handed me a warm cup of coffee- "You look like you need a few more of these."

- "Thank you. I do."- they stared at me in silence as I sipped my beverage and hummed- "Hot and bitter. Like me."

- "What happened last night, (Y/N)? You ran off Rossi's like you've seen a ghost"- Garcia went right to the point. I knew the mystery was probably killing her.

- "Spencer and I had an argument"

- "Was it telepathically?"- Pen raised an eyebrow and sat in front of my desk- "Because neither of you shared a word, you just looked at each other and you were gone!"- I wasn't planning on telling anyone what had, in fact, happened between us, or why I was mad. Instead, I just shook my head.