Chapter 2

"Hold still." Shoto tells you as he carefully unwinds the bandage on your arm.

It's been a few days now that you've been staying with him. He's insisted that you not leave until your wounds are healed, at least.

It's not like you have anywhere else to go, but you haven't exactly told him that.

You don't really feel like talking about it yet, though you know he knows it was something bad. Aside from the nightmares, which thankfully aren't every night anymore, he's occasionally caught you crying when you've thought of your family.

He's never asked why, though. Just if he could help at all.

You appreciate that.

Obviously you'll have to explain eventually, but you're glad it doesn't have to be now.

"Owww." You whine, drawn out of your thoughts as the disinfectant stings at the uncovered cut. It's healing well, but still very tender.

"Sorry." Shoto frowns. "I'm not as good at this as my sister."

You force yourself to put up with the slight burn, knowing it's for the best that the area stays clean, and try to distract yourself with conversation. "Your sister? Princess Fuyumi?"

The look in his eyes is distant, but he stays focused on his work, fetching the roll of fresh bandages and gently wrapping your arm again. "Yeah. She--"

A sharp whistle from outside cuts him off.

"Ah, that's her..." He finishes up the bandage, then glances between you and the cave entrance. "Sorry, she's... she's not really supposed to be out here. I'll just be a couple minutes." He eyes the other two bandages that still need changed on your other arm.

"It's fine, go on." You assure him.

With a nod he makes for the mouth of the cave, spreading his wings and taking off.

You wait a moment, but your curiosity gets the better of you. Gingerly, you get to your feet and slowly make your way to the cave entrance, peeking down at the forest floor.

You can see the two of them clearly, and even if you weren't somewhat aware of the royal family's distinctive look, you'd easily see the resemblance. She has the same mix of red and white hair as her brother, though hers is primarily white with occasional flecks of red, and she wears the same dark blue clothing, though hers has a knee-length skirt - just short enough to be halfway practical in this terrain.

Fuyumi has handed a couple of bags to Shoto, and they seem to be having a pleasant chat. She glances upward at that moment, smiling. She waves at you, drawing Shoto's attention your way as well.

Obviously, you can't tell what's being said from all the way up here, but you see Fuyumi say something, then Shoto gives her a slightly flustered response causing her to chuckle. He sighs, wings shifting lower to his sides, but she just waves him off and heads back into the trees.

You back up from the entry, knowing Shoto will be returning any second, and sit back on the floor next to the first aid supplies.

He lands with another deep sigh, flexing his wings as he walks across the cavern to the shelving area.

"So she's the one who brings you this stuff." You comment, looking over the various foodstuffs and other supplies on the shelves.

"Yeah. She was wondering why I asked for extra last time. I guess she got her answer." He grumbles, setting the bags down. "She's so annoying... had the nerve to ask if I was planning to hibernate through the winter." He takes a moment to look over the shelves, then he seems to remember that you were in the middle of something before. "Right, sorry." He leaves the bags where they are and returns to your side.