The Confrontation - Part 6

Start from the beginning

     "My spellbook!" protested Thomas. "I also need to study it."

     "Oh yes, very well," said Saturn grudgingly, sounding as if he was putting himself out to do a great favour. He dug the book out and handed it across, and Thomas accepted it with as much grateful relief as if it were a child being released by kidnappers. He stroked its cover lovingly, then opened it and turned to the spells he needed to re-read.

     It didn't take him long. Only one spell had changed since he'd last read it and he soon had the new version memorised. He closed the book and put it back in the pocket of his robes where he'd carried it for the past several weeks.

     Saturn, however, who'd been half awake throughout and keeping a slitted eye on him, now sat up alertly and reached out a thin, bony hand. "Give me the book," he snapped.

     Thomas found himself obeying automatically before he knew what he was doing. Maybe there's another spell he wants to read, now he's had a chance to rest his eye, he thought as he handed it across. To his shock and horror, though, the elder wizard simply placed it back in the pocket of his own robes, after which he promptly forgot about it and settled back to sleep.

     "Master?" ventured Thomas, his guts twisting up in fear.

     Saturn opened his eye and looked at him again. "What?" he snapped irritably.

     "My spellbook!"

     "Ah yes. I will carry it from now on, but don't be afraid. I'll let you borrow it whenever you need it."

     "Borrow...?" gasped Thomas in mounting shock and anger. "It's my book! You're borrowing it, not me!"

     "Don't be impertinent. I suggest you get some rest before..."

     Thomas was jumping back to his feet, however. "Give me my spellbook!" he demanded angrily.

     Saturn stared at him in astonishment. "Don't take that tone with me, young man! The fact is that I need the book more than you do. Be grateful I let you borrow it at all."

     "I said give it to me! Now!"

     Thomas heard the words coming out of his mouth with astonishment, hardly able to believe what he was saying but helpless to stop. It was as if someone else had taken control of his body. Someone firm and assertive, full of the natural confidence of a wizard. Someone outraged at Saturn's treatment of him and determined not to stand for it any longer. "Now I said!" He held out his hand under the elder wizard's nose, his bright blue eyes blazing with anger and fierce determination.

     His furious gaze was met by Saturn's single eye, widening with surprise and a matching anger. Neither of them noticed the other humans gathering around, curious to see what all the noise was about.

     "I warn you, young Gown," hissed Saturn through clenched teeth as he also rose to his feet. "If you think you can take advantage of my temporary weakness, I remind you that I still possess great power in the form of various artifacts carried on my person." He drew back a fold of his robes to reveal the wands hanging from his belt. It made him look like a gunfighter about to draw. "Sit down, shut up, and I'll forget that this incident ever happened. A temporary aberration, understandable considering the stresses of the past few..."

     "Last chance, Saturn!" warned Thomas, and there was absolutely no give in his eyes, absolutely no room for concession. "You know what it means to take a wizard's spellbook. Give it back or I will take it."

     Matthew started forward, afraid for his friend, but Drenn held him back. "Best not to interfere in the affairs of wizards," he whispered quietly in his ear. "Wise men leave them alone to settle it among themselves."