3| launching a rocket

"THAT WAS A STUPID waste of time," Venus complained, hands set on her hips as the Pogues stood on the sidewalk outside of the station they arrived at to report the wreck. It was packed with other people that had missing pets and that were filing reports; too crowded and busy for any of the officials to listen to the group of friends that had been waved off before they could even get a full sentence out.

"Even if there was a reward, they wouldn't give it to us," JJ concluded sadly with a stiff laugh.

"I know how we could find out who owns the boat." John B held up the motel key in front of them, a mischievous smile tugging at the corners of his mouth.

Pope immediately started shaking his head, already not liking the idea. "We don't know who's room that is. It could be anybody."

Kiara grinned and took the key from John's grasp and started walking back towards the skiff.

"That's what makes it interesting," she coaxed, nudging Pope with her shoulder. "Come on. We'll be lookout."

John B couldn't contain the laugh that left his mouth. "Yeah, that way you'll only be an accomplice."

Venus followed JJ and John B across the motel balcony as they checked each lock to see if the key would work. Originally, she offered to stay behind with Pope and Kie as a lookout while the two snooped around, but she'd quickly been placed on team recon by the group instead.

She was starting to regret the team she'd been placed on though, because so far all JJ would talk about is how John B should finally make a move on Kie.

"You know the rule, JJ. No Pogue-on-Pogue macking," John chastised and shook his head. "You're the one that always hitting on her."

"Okay, in his defense, JJ hits on everyone," Venus spoke up, gesturing to the blond as John B tried fitting the key in another lock.

"See! I've even hit on Venus like...how many times now?" JJ tried to think.

The Beck girl rolled her eyes. "Too damn many to count, but that's not the point." She flicked him in the backside of his head. "If it's semi-attractive and has good hair, JJ flirts with it."

The boy scoffed at her words. "That isn't true. I have standards, you know?" He brushed off her statement and walked to the next door, knocking on it in a rhythmic pattern. "Housekeeping," he said in a high-pitched voice.

Venus did her best to hold in a laugh at the boy's actions and turned back to the Routledge.

"John," she sighed, "the point is that the rule is stupid. If you like her and she likes you the way she seems to, then go for it," she encouraged with a smile.

"And what if it doesn't work out and she never wants to speak to me again?" He turned to face the girl and tilted his head in a questioning manner.

Venus took the key from his hand and moved to try the lock of the door JJ stood at. She slowly turned the key until she heard a soft and familiar click. She fully unlocked it and handed the key back to him.

"What if it does?" she countered, a smug smile coating her lips. The girl carefully opened the door and peered inside to make sure it was vacant before walking in.