Chapter 1

Max ducked down, dodging a flying gloved fist from Darla. She often trained with her twenty-one-year-old sister, even though Darla had the upper hand. She was taller, faster and had a few more years of experience. Whatever Max couldn't learn from their father, she learned from Darla, including fighting.

Max paused for a moment, standing on trembling legs and keeping her tired arms up. Her heart pounded against her ribs and each inhale burned her lungs. Her gloved fists rested beneath her chin, and she studied her smirking sister.

Darla's tanned skin was slick with sweat, making her lean torso and arms shine. Her black hair was secured in a high ponytail and her dark bolded golden-green eyes dared Max to step forward. She was standing steady, her chest barely rising as she breathed. If she was tired at all, she did a good job hiding it.

Max's body ached, and she wanted to stop and lie down. Her attempts at wiping dripping sweat off her brow proved futile as more dripped down, stinging her blue eyes. And with a puffy red glove, she swept her damp white-blonde hair from her face, keeping her eyes locked on Darla, who rose a dark eyebrow.

"You ready to stop?"

"Not a chance." Max panted. She clenched her gloved fists tighter and loosened her aching shoulders. She stepped forward, quick and light on her feet before jabbing as quick as her arms would fly.

The sisters used the sparring ring at the police station where their father trained in his early years of service. Many of the police officers welcomed the girls and watched from the sidelines. Even though the girls didn't know all of the officers there, they recognized all of them.

"I told you I wasn't going to go easy on you anymore." Darla was panting now. She was slowing down, and Max watched for an opening.

"Good!" She barked, "I'd be offended if you did." She slinked closer, taking a step forward and jarred her fist upward.

Darla leaned back, barely dodging a clean uppercut. She responded with a jab toward Max's pretty little face.

A quick block absorbed the blow, pain pulsing through her already aching left arm. Her right fist flew in, jabbing into Darla's stomach and knocking the breath out of her. She almost stepped back to keep her balance, but then Max used the same fist and plowed it into Darla's ribs again and again with as much speed and force as she could muster.

Darla cried out, or coughed, more like it. This made Max stop and step away.

"You okay?" she asked with concern.

"Don't stop you fool!" She barreled into Max without warning and slammed her into the floor. Max's ribs were crushed, her lungs on fire as wind was knocked out of her. Darla was on top of her now, pinning her down.

Max moved from side to side, wiggling like a worm only to find that her right arm was pinned down and completely useless. Her left arm was stretched above her head, so she pounded Darla's head with the red glove. All the while, still trying to wiggle her way free.

"It's no use." Darla tried not to laugh.

"Ugh!" No matter how hard Max tried, she couldn't break away.

"I told you not to stop." She was laughing now, which made her body shake and it was easier to move. So, Max used all of her strength to bring her knees up and kick her sister off.

Darla moved with ease, rolling away and laughing breathlessly.

"I thought I hurt you." Max panted, getting onto her hands and knees.

"That's the point, bozo." Darla smiled. Beads of sweat trickled down her brow. Max could feel her own skin soaked too, as sweat ran down her neck and beneath her black clothes clinging to her skin. They rested there for a moment, catching their breath, and looking at each other.