Eight: Ocean Fantasies

Start from the beginning

"Kelsey, look at me." She demanded gently, her eyes lit up like silver fire. "You are safe. He will not follow you, and he absolutely cannot get to you."

"How do you know?" I croaked, my fingers shaking in my lap. I struggled to hold onto any grasp of sanity, refusing to let him win. I reminded myself that I had helped other girls and students by reporting him, and he would get what he deserved one way or another.

She leaned her forehead against mine, and for almost the first time ever, I leaned into her for longer than three seconds. "Because your mother and I aren't just cops, sweetheart. Nothing and no one harms what's ours and lives for long." There was a dark edge to her tone that I'd never heard before but soaked up nonetheless, desperately missing Leukai. She'd only been gone for a day, yet something was telling my mind and body that it had been a month.

"So what do we do?" I asked, my tone hinging on desperation. "Please don't tell me we have to move again, I really like it here and I met-" I just barely stopped myself from revealing my secret. "So many wonderful people. I don't want him to take that from me too."

"Shh, no Kelsey, we aren't moving. We aren't running, and we certainly will not stop living our lives. Your mother and I may be a tad extra overprotective the next few weeks, but we aren't about to uproot your life again." I breathed a sigh of relief, the ache and hysteria in my chest ebbing some. "Bryant is keeping a close eye on him for me, and has agreed to report back frequently, multiple times a day even. I didn't tell you this to make you panic, I just thought you should know so you can be prepared." As awful as it was, I felt thankful that she was keeping me in the loop. Unfortunately though, I was still on the verge of a panic attack.

I needed the ocean. I needed.....Luna.

God I am pathetic. And it was true, I sounded so whiny it was almost gag-worthy.

"Take me home? I'm going to meet the guys at the beach later." I said quietly. She kissed my forehead, leaving a tingle that made me feel less alone.

"Sure thing, kiddo." My eyes went wide and a surprised much-needed laugh burst out of me.

"I can't believe he called you that." She giggled, shifting the car into drive. My heart lightened a little at the attempts she made to get me to smile, but my mind was still a little scattered when we pulled into the driveway. I didn't waste any time, hurrying upstairs to get ready, barely saying hi to my mom. After a lengthy shower and shave, I was in the middle of straightening my hair when I heard a "You told her?!" Shout from downstairs. I winced in sympathy, it was never pretty when my mom was mad. I turned my music up, willing myself to think of nothing but the party, and how grateful I was for the new people in my life.

"Apologize" by Timbaland and OneRepublic played through the speakers, soothing the uncomfortable ache in my soul. I finished my hair, admiring the way the deep red caught the light, and started on my makeup. I wanted to look better than I felt, and so into the land of dark and twisty eyeshadow I go. I went for a smoky eye to bring out the green in my eyes, a light coat of mascara, and settled for no foundation since my skin had been doing this dope clear thing lately and it kind of sucked to work around stitches anyway. I finished with a light coat of gloss over my lips, enjoying the way it made them plump up slightly.

I danced along to another banger as I got dressed, letting my hips sway to the beat of "If I Lose Myself" by yet again, OneRepublic. Deciding to look nice and match my appearance for once, I pulled on my favorite matching underwear and bralette before choosing black skinny jeans that were ripped in the thighs and knees and tattered at the ankles. Yes grandma, I did in fact buy them this way. I paired them with a burgundy crop top that twisted in the middle, exposing my belly button to the world. Stepping into my checkered Vans, I decided I was ready to face the night. Snatching my studded leather jacket from its hanger and shrugged it on, I looped my purse over my head before leaving my room.