CHAPTER 18. THE ANIMATE CORPSE

Start from the beginning

"People naturally fear what they don't know, so go ahead and give something you know a try."

Amaya was confused, "What are you suggesting?"

"Your cursed energy and technique," he answered. "Try manifesting them both."

For the time she had been there, her ability to use jujutsu had been the last thing on Amaya's mind. A sudden determination ran through her veins while she tried to manifest her cursed energy. Amaya held a loose fist in front of her chest, hoping to see the aura of blue envelop her hand. She furrowed her brows when there wasn't anything.

Again and again, Amaya tried to manifest her cursed energy and or technique. She only managed to bring forth a sliver of cursed energy that covered her hand. It was enough to deliver a good blow, but keeping the cursed energy flowing was difficult. She managed to hold it for a few seconds before it dissipated into nothing.

"It's almost as if my body refuses," you murmured. "That's what it feels like to me."

"Yet you can still use cursed energy," Gojo then stood in front of Amaya. She looked up at his large, looming figure. Even if it wasn't intentional, he was quite intimidating. "Hand me your right wrist."

There was no use in defying him, so Amaya offered her hand pretty quickly. Gojo then wrapped a chain around her wrist. She watched as he chanted something in an alien language, imbuing his own cursed energy into the bracelet before he let go.

Once he did, Amaya's wrist dropped down to her lap from the unexpected weight. It wasn't incredibly heavy, but it was still enough to surprise Amaya for a moment.

"This is..."

"It's nullifying your ability to use jujutsu and restricting your cursed energy output," Gojo explained. "The only way for it to be taken off your wrist is for me to remove it. There's no use in trying."

"What a rare thing to find," her fingers brushed the cursed object, "but I'm not surprised you did. Still, do I have to be under watch all the time like earlier?"

"No, you know that us sorcerers don't have the time to babysit. There are missions to take, so there won't always be someone around. We also don't have the space to lock you up in either. It'd be a waste of time and space if we tried."

"Does that mean you trust me...? Even if it's only a tiny bit?"

"If you were truly Amaya, I'd trust that you'd know that we wouldn't believe a walking and talking corpse so easily."

And all of her thoughts suddenly went blank. The girl opened her mouth to say something, anything, yet nothing would come out. She stayed silent as Gojo stood, moments passing before he left the room. His presence gone only left an even heavier feeling on her shoulders.

"Right..." Amaya's head dropped down to her lap, and she fiddled with a loose string of her shirt. She could only think about one thing. "I really am just a walking and talking corpse, huh."

The air was chilly for a summer afternoon. Amaya walked around the school grounds, merely drifting to where the wind would lead. She had nothing to do but think over things; when did she not?

She roamed around until someone called for her. Her ears picked up on the vaguely familiar voice, and she looked behind to see a warm smile. Itadori waved his hand as a greeting, and then he caught up to Amaya quickly.

After exchanging pleasantries, the pair fell into silence. The brunette kept her hands at her sides, nails picking at each other awkwardly as they mindlessly walked around. She wasn't in any mood to make small talk, so she silently returned to her thoughts.