Chapter 6

"Elliot."

I freeze at the sound of my father's voice, schooling my features into a blank canvas before I turn to face him. It had been awhile since I last saw his face and it was the same as I remembered it. His dark hair was combed back, streaks of grey just barely visible in the dim light. His icy blue eyes, an exact replica of mine, held every bit of resentment they had the day he told me my mother was dead. 

"Yes, father?" I said, carefully. He made a habit to avoid me so whatever it was that forced him to speak to me couldn't be good.

"I've received word from your scholars that you haven't been attending classes."

Mentally, I cursed. I had been skipping my classes so I could spend the days training with Dante. I didn't think anyone would notice or care. Least of all my father.

"I've had other matters to attend to." I said eventually, scanning his face for hints of anger, but other than the burning hatred forever present in his gaze, he remained as stoic as ever

"Matters that are more important than your education?"

"Yes." 

My father frowned, clearly displeased with my answer. Too bad I no longer cared what pleased him or what didn't. 

"Enlighten me. What do you deem more important?"

"With all due respect, father, there is someone murdering our people. I would think that would be more important than my education."

"Careful," he warned, stepping towards me. "I've allowed you to have your fun all these years. I've allowed you to act like a whore, un-fit for the title of prince you've been blessed with upon birth. I've allowed you to run wild for far too long. This stops now. You will continue to finish your education until the end of this year. I don't want to hear that you've missed another class, do you understand?"

"Why do you care?" I couldn't help but sneer. "As you've said, you haven't shown an interest in my existence since mother-"

"Drop it!" My father's voice echoed through the castle's halls and I flinched before I could stop myself. "You will do as you're told or so help me, I will do everything in my power to ensure you never become king."

Anger burned inside of me but I couldn't find my voice to respond. I watched my father's retreating figure as I struggled to get air inside my lungs past the lump forming in my throat. I tried so hard not to care, for so long I've managed to convince myself I didn't. But I must because otherwise, it wouldn't hurt this much.

I make my way down to the stables, trying to take deep breaths before I faced Dante. I didn't want him to see me like this. Losing control, vulnerable, no matter how close we may have become. 

"What took you so long?" I registered his voice a moment before he came into view, stepping out of the stables with our horses. 

It was if the sight of him triggered the slight grasp I held over my emotions and tears started pouring down my cheeks. I don't know what I was expecting but it wasn't him holding out his arms so I could fall into his chest or him wrapping those arms around me as I fell to my knees in the snow with him following after me. He held me as my body shook with silent sobs, my tears soaking into his jacket. His arms only tightened around me, one of his hands running up and down my back in soothing strokes. 

We stayed like that until the cold brought me back to the present, even his body no longer enough to shield me from the weather.  I pulled away, refusing to meet his eyes. I was beyond embarrassed but when I opened my mouth to apologize, he beat me to it.

"What happened?" 

My eyes meet his, concern lacing his features as he lifted his hand to cup my face, thumb wiping away my tears. My breath caught in my throat at such a simple, yet gentle gesture.