𝟔𝟗 | 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐅𝐚𝐥𝐥 𝐎𝐟 𝐑𝐨𝐝 𝐑𝐞𝐢𝐬𝐬

Start from the beginning

"We've determined the location of Rod Reiss' titan," one of the soldier's announces. "It's southwest, approaching Orvud. At this rate, it should reach Orvud District by dawn."

"Understood," Carsten replies, a Garrison soldier, that stood beside Erwin's side. "Commander Erwin, we'd all like to hear what your plan is. How do you intend to evacuate the citizens in time?"

"We won't evacuate," Erwin simply says, as if his plans can't get anymore ludicrous. 

"Wh-What?"

"We'll have the citizens remain in Orvud district just as they are,"

Confusion wavers throughout the room, as if Erwin's instruction was to sit and do nothing for the time being. For a moment I was caught off guard, but soon I quickly caught on what he was implying by this. I knew he wouldn't simply forget about the people, but there was more to it than just skimming the outer layer.

"Are you insane?" The Carsten questions, hesitantly.

Clearly the soldiers didn't like the blunt response, but they soon needed to hear him out.

Suddenly Carsten grabs Erwin's jacket collar with both hands, jostling him around rather harshly. "What the hell are you thinking, Erwin?!" He demands. "Keep the citizens in the city without evacuating?! By the time it's dawn, that titan will be all over us--!"

"Calm yourself, soldier!" I sternly spoke up, causing the soldier to slowly release Erwin's collar. Steadily he maintains eye contact with me, "That titan out there is an abnormal--"

"What the hell does that even mean?!" He snaps back, knowing he's overly terrified at this point.

"What Corporal Akira was meaning," Hanji tilts their glasses, turning to him. "The target titan is strangely attracted to high concentrations of people. Hence, abnormal. It means the fellow will turn a blind eye to a small village, ignoring it in favour of reaching this fortified city. Capital Mitras, Orvud District.....if right now, you were to evacuate the citizens within Wall Sina, it would be drawn towards them, destroying the wall and all in it's path. In the end, it would reach Mitras, with the greatest density of people....and deliver a devastating blow to humanity."

Everyone had fallen silent while I lift my eyes, "On our way back, we attempted to use Eren Yeager's power to control titans, but......" my eyes follow to Hanji's, before giving the man full eye contact. "....Rod Reiss' titan showed no reaction, or any attention of that matter."

Seriously, it didn't seem to work like it was back when retrieving Eren and I were kidnapped. Either way, we still don't understand Eren's titan abilities all the way yet, and if could, I knew there would be complications and obstacles yet again that would halt our main focus.

"If we are to stop that titan, we must do so outside the walls of Orvud District," Erwin spoke up, explaining his reason. "For that to happen, we must have the citizens act as bait. However, this does not change the fact that our first duty as soldiers is to protect the citizens. Supposing we're unable to halt the target, we'll take measures so that not a single citizen is killed. We'll announce an emergency evacuation drill for Orvud District, so that if needed, the citizens will be ready to evacuate at once."

Carsten falls silent, knowing we're left without many options.

He heavily sighs with defeat, "It seems there's no other choice," giving in to Erwin's risky plan. Though he was wise and considered our options, I felt more relieved we were now on the same page.

"The body of our target is the largest we've seen," Erwin admits, honestly. "As such, it presents an easy target. Wall-mounted cannons should prove highly effective, but.....if that's not enough to bring it down....the Scout Regiment will throw everything we have at it."