Chapter I

"And then, the prince married the princess, and they lived happily ever after!" With that, the reader sighed and trembling aged hands slowly closed the book. A feather-bound hardcover with carved out initials "Prem Katha" , meaning tales filled with love and affection. 

A similar affection was portrayed on the little princess's grandmother's face, while she was reading her favourite bedtime story. The young soul laid on the bed. The clock struck nine , but she was already asleep, probably dreaming of tales too good to be true.

The grandmother bent down and gently kissed her forehead.
Slowly whispering, "Good night, Sandhya", she crept out of the room dimming the lights.

-----------

The entire kingdom brimmed with enthusiasm. There were only five days left before Rajkumari Sandhya's wedding. Time flies with its wings spread wide, high in the sky of memories. The youngest daughter of the royal family of Sangram would be getting married to the Prince of Rathore. 

Wasn't she just an adolescent few days ago? A juvenile spirit running around with her sakhis (friends), braiding their hair and making mud dolls? Willing to leave the boundaries and push herself beyond the limits?

As the fragrance of jasmine, intense aroma of various spices and the burning candles mixed to form a complicated sensation, it diffused among the raucous conversations of the busy kingdom. There was periodic clacking of the horse carriages as they pulled up at the gates of the Palace. With carriages, came esteemed guests! Every time a carriage stopped, Maharaja (king) Mahendra Pratap himself greeted his guests with utmost perfection. Inside the castle, busy servants ran up and down the stairs and through the hallways, carrying stuffs from one end to the other. Most of them worked with dedication, while the disloyal ones found opportunities to misplace things. It was a happy occasion, so no one doubted others. 

Marriage in this Royalty has always been a ritually important part of those in power. It is a connection bound by love and respect, but more than that, it serves as an alliance. It serves as the purpose of every powerful ruler eagerly waiting to expand their territories. The importance of mutuality diminishes as the hunger for power ascends - leading to relationships built on hollow sense of affection and belongingness.

Slowly but swiftly, a shadow moved down the intricate grand staircase of the Mahal (palace). Gentle fingers wrapped around hard railings. Seemed like someone was in hurry... 

Destinies of Sandhya's two older sisters were bound by such relationships. Now it was her turn. Was she yet ready to face the future?

All of a sudden, a figure darted across the crowdy streets, almost scattering the petals and knocking down some old artisans, busy painting the pillars of a certain structure. As soft ringing sounds of an anklet filled the markets, everyone knew who it was.

"Get a hold of her!" Shouted a man dressed as a royal guard.

Everyone was confused as a group of them chased someone who had already, by then, ran off far away.

After several minutes of sprinting, the maiden finally came to halt. She had already climbed up to the highest tower of the Palace. That place had sheltered so many memories and thoughts. It had provided tranquility when she tried to escape from this prejudiced society where she felt suffocating at times. Her ivory black hair having similarity with raven's feathers, a symbol of misery, swept across her face as she looked beyond the casual markets. She admired her hair, but also envied its freedom. It highlighted her another elegant feature - her eyes. A green sea with magnificent luminescence at night, her eyes had a resemblance with the Arabian Sea. She took over her paternal grandmother's beauty, whom she missed the most on that day.

Speaking of raven, there was one. Right on the tower's edge!

"Oh!" She squeaked, as she heard a sharp call.
"My mighty messenger! Did you bring a letter from her? Did she send me one?" She laughed. Even though she was aware of the fact the poor bird would understand nothing, she couldn't help but ask.

The raven nodded it's head
She was filled with hope
A hope that was probably lost.

With all the simplicity her royal family could afford her, Sandhya still found it difficult to cope up with her fast pacing family. This soon-to-be bride would be wearing saree for just the third time in her life. She had an eager wish to live her life like a commoner did. She wanted to merge with a society devoid of special privileges to specific persons.

She adored every single person of her kingdom -the baker's basket and the flower girl's garlands. The architect's hardwork and the infinite glory. Her thoughts were not bound by her kingdom, they went beyond that!