Burning pyre

"Daemon you have no idea what kind of decisions I have to make!" Rhaenyra spoke out as she softly rocked a sleeping Visenya in her arms. She sat on a chaise lounge in front of the fire as Daemon paced around the room.

"Rhaenyra! You do have a choice to make!! The realm will fucking rile up if you keep your oldest as heir you know that!" He spoke turning around meeting Rhaenyra's gaze.

It had been a few days since everything went down and the castle was preparing for the funeral of King Viserys I. Alicent hadn't left her chambers and no one really cared about it. They understood her to be mourning her husband.

Baela and Rhaena loved playing with Helaena's twins and Helaena was relieved to not be alone anymore. Together they wandered around the keep. The Jaehaera had bonded really well with Rhaena and Jaehaerys had clung to Baela ever since she had given him some attention. Maelor was still so small he most of the times lay in his mothers arms.

Aemond sometimes accompanied them to the gardens but as soon as one of the Velaryon boys was in sight he made his way back to his chambers.

And Aegon? He hadn't left his room or his bed for days. He barely ate or drank. The whispers around the castle of the catatonic state of the prince had reached the royals too but nobody seemed to want to help him so he was left alone. Everyone was too busy with themselves or someone close to them.

After Rhaenys summoned Corlys Velaryon, he had presented at court and was immediately offered a place on the small council as the master of ships. He of course had said yes in a heartbeat.

Rhaenyra stood in front of the iron throne as she looked up all the steps an onto the seat her father once sat. It was still silent in the throne room as it was early morning. Ever since Visenya had been born she couldn't sleep. Too scared that she would stop breathing and slip through her fingers again.

Daemon slowly walked up from behind her "Dear wife.. you should be resting....." he spoke pressing a kiss to her neck.

"I can't Daemon" Rhaenyra answered voice trembling. "I can't! I am too scared something will happen to her... I can't loose her again... and I miss Our little Aegon and Viserys and Joffrey... they are all alone on Dragonstone without any of us.... They should be here Daemon" She said a tear forming in her eye.

He hugged her and kissed her again "You should not have to bear this all alone Rhaenyra... let me help... let us all help.... I myself will fly to Dragonstone to pick up Aegon and Viserys... they will love taking a flight.... I will have them here before your coronation Rhaenyra" he said softly as he hugged her from behind.

They stood together like that for a few minutes before Rhaenyra broke the silence "Are you going to miss him?" she asked as she turned to face Daemon.

He chuckled and looked down "Of course you daft woman... he is.. was my brother... I fought wars for him" he spoke.

"I know... but how many times did he exile you again?" Rhaenyra said a soft smile forming on her face.

Daemon laughed. He took Rhaenyra's hands and kissed them. "Really Rhaenyra... I think once was because I was too close to you hmm?.... " He said leading her to the exit of the throne room.

Rhaenyra stood in her chambers as the maids were bustling around her making her ready for the funeral of the King Viserys I. She was dressed in a black velvet dress. Everything down to the stitching was black. It had long sleeves going over her hands and barely showing any of her fingers. The collar sitting around her neck not a deep plunging neckline but also not the tight necked dresses Alicent always wore.

At last a cloak was draped around her shoulders and clasped in the front. Since giving birth to Visenya Rhaenyra had worn it as she felt she couldn't show her belly, it was still slightly swollen and she hated to be reminded of the failure her body had proven to be to her last child. She hated it. She had been sleeping alone in her chambers not only because she wanted to be close to Visenya but also because she didn't want Daemon to see her in her frail state. So she covered herself up.

Her hair was loose with one singular plaited braid. She only wore small dark studs earrings and her usual rings. She looked in the mirror and sighed as the maids put powder under her eyes to mask the dark rings and her still very white face.

As the funeral was about to begin and lords and ladies from withing Viserys close circle had gathered, as had multiple of his maids and the maesters that had tended to him over the past years. Alicent, Aemond, Helaena and Aegon stood on one side all clothed fully in black to show their mourning. Baela, Rhaena, Lucerys and Jacaerys stood beside each other. Jace had his hand laying on the shoulder of Baela. Lord Corlys and Princess Rhaenys stood next to the twins holding hands.

In front of them all stood the burning pile with King Viserys's body laid upon it. Above in the air circled Syrax, Caraxys, Dreamfyre, Sunfyre and Vhagar.

Rhaenyra was last to attend. She walked up as regal as she always had walked. Clothed in black but in the sunshine embroidered dragons were sown all over the back off her cloak she wore over the black dress. Daemon walked behind her hand on Dark Sister.

She walked a few steps forward and looked up the sky until Syrax started to descend. But not only Syrax descended, Caraxes and Vhagar followed her and stood next to her.

The three of them looking very menacing as they gazed upon the burning pile. Rhaenyra looked at Syrax and furrowed her eyebrows. Syrax roared and shook her large head.

Rhaenyra turned her head "Prince Daemon... Prince Aemond... please join me here as our dragons have made it abundantly clear they are going to do this together" she spoke.

Daemon immediately walked up but Aemond froze again. He felt Helaena's hand against his "Come on brother.." she spoke as she softly gave him a little push forward. He walked up to Rhaenyra and stood a step behind her overlooking the three dragons.

Rhaenyra sighed and looked over her shoulder to Daemon who gave her a nod.

It was like her mothers funeral all those years ago. It was her that gave her Syrax the command. Today she stood with two people behind her, she hoped this would maybe be a good step in the right direction.

"Dracarys" Rhaenyra spoke out and Syrax beamed her fire towards the Kings body

"Dracarys" Daemon followed and Caraxes fire merged with Syrax's.

"Dracarys Vhagar" Aemond spoke head held high as Vhagar was the last to follow.

Rhaenyra looked down and stepped back now shoulder to shoulder with Daemon and Aemond.

As the pile burned the dragons took of and went back to the other two flying dragons. They happily chased each other down and tumbled around each other.

"They seem to like each other Syrax, Caraxes and Vhagar" Daemon spoke and turned his head towards Aemond.

"Hmm so they do" Aemond answered looking down to the ground fiddling with his fingers. Rhaenyra looked over at Aemond and slightly smiled "Thank you... brother" she spoke and nodded for him to retreat back and stand with his mother and siblings.

Everyone started to leave until only Alicent was left with Rhaenyra standing a few feet away from each other.

Alicent looked down and clawed at her fingers. Her cuticles red and inflamed as she nitpicked every little shred.

"Thank you for caring for him Alicent... in these last few years" Rhaenyra spoke.

Alicent looked up and nodded "Of course... " she whispered.

"I did love him you know" she continued.

Rhaenyra looked at the burning pyre "That I know too"