Chapter 9 - Shadow Garden

Start from the beginning

Having returned to my dorm room, I turn on the lights.

From the shadows, a young girl reveals herself.

"You wanna eat?"

She is wearing a tight bodysuit that seems to be emphasizing her recently acquired assets.

In her hand is a thick sandwich filled with tuna, bought from the famous store MagRonald in the royal capital.

"Thanks. It's been a while, hasn't it, Alpha? What happened to Beta?"

I haven't had anything proper to eat for 5 days straight, so I attack the sandwich with gusto.

Beta was the one who had been supporting me recently.

"Beta? that girl... She can't bear to stay anywhere near 'him'. So, since I was close to the capital. I took her place temporarily."

Alpha answered as her voice turned cold when she said the word 'him'.

"This is very suspicious. How did 'he' manage to enter the capital without us noticing... What in the world is Zeta doing? Wasn't she assigned to keep a watchful eye on 'him'?"

Noticing the tension in the air every time Alpha said 'him', I decided it was best not to ask about 'him'.

"Do you think?..."

As I ate my meal, Alpha waited for my reply with a gaze fixed upon me. So, I responded with some random nonsense.

"Too early, It is not the time yet."

Hearing me, Alpha narrowed her eyes and muttered slowly. "I see... As we thought... he's on their side..."

"Pretty much."

I replied without much thought as I looked at the sandwich in my hands.

"I heard from Beta. Seems things have gotten a bit troublesome, hm?"

She sits on my bed and crosses her legs.

Both her silky blond hair and long-slitted blue eyes seem somehow nostalgic.

In the short time that she's left my sight, she has grown up so much.

"Guess so."

I throw the last scrap of the sandwich into my mouth.

"There's water in that."

"Thx~"

I drain the large cup in one breath.

"Whew, back to life."

I throw off my shoes and coat, then dive into my bed.

"At least change your clothes first."

"Nah, gonna sleep."

"You... do you even understand the situation you are in?"

"I'll leave the preparations to you."

Alpha is super capable. By giving her free reign, I am sure she will prepare the most wonderful stage for me. Perhaps one day, I might even introduce her to my younger brother Anos. I'm sure he will appreciate her expertise. She can teach him about how to properly plan his last-boss events and stuff. But until then, I am going to sleep... I mean, conserve my strength.

Alpha sighs deeply.

"I'm sure you understand this, but the way things are currently developing, this will be pinned on you."

"Probably, yea."

As long as the real culprit is not found, it is almost certain that the one under the most suspicion would be executed.