Thirty-Six: Connected

Start from the beginning

He got to the top of the staircase that led to the dungeon. He then stopped. A thought occurred to him. How was he going to get Ethan free without the aid of magic? He needed to find out where his father was holding his light orb, but how could he? And how was he going to take it back? It seemed almost impossible, for something definitely had taken over his father and the guards somehow, making them view him as an enemy.

Suddenly, he felt someone grab his upper arm.

"Unhand me!" he protested, pulled himself free, turned around and got ready to fight. But once he saw who it was he relaxed his stance.

"I thought you were one of the others," Oslac said through a long sigh of relief. "Dìl Dìon what are you doing, grabbing me like that?"

"What are you planning exactly?"

"I'm releasing the prisoner of course!" Oslac said with a fire of courage roaring in his breast.

"Really, you and what magic?"

"I... I was..."

"Seems to me, Oslac, that you have no plan." The condescending look that the guard gave rubbed Oslac the wrong way.

"I do have a plan!" he hissed. "I'm getting my light orb back!"

"Very well." The guard threw up his hands in surrender. "I'll escort you if you like, so that no guards give you a hard time." Dìl Dìon then bowed his head in respect, but such an act did not cover the fact that persuading him seemed unrealistically easy.

Oslac chose to ignore his niggling doubts. He had no time. He needed to get Ethan out - to protect Beanni from further harm. He gave Dìl Dìon a sharp nod, then motioned towards the corridor that led to his father's quarters.

They walked in silence all the way to the king's office. Dìl Dìon took the lead and got to the closed door first. He reached his hand forward and grabbed the door handle, then froze.

"Dìl Dìon what're you doing? Why did you stop?"

Oslac's questioning was met by a quiet laugh, so quiet at first that Oslac couldn't be sure if he heard what he thought he heard.

"Dìl Dìon?"

The laughing became louder, and the guard's shoulders shook. He then turned away from the door and the menacing grin on his face made Oslac stumble backwards. The guard grabbed Oslac's wrist, stopping him from running away as deep, dark shadows swirled and danced out of his eye sockets.

Oslac fought as hard as he could against him but he couldn't pull his arm free this time.

Dìl Dìon cricked his neck with an unnatural jerk. "Why do you never learn?" he said in an eerie whisper. Then twisted Oslac's arm with a sudden movement making the same bone he broke in the forest snap again. The Prince's screams of agony echoed along the corridor, but nobody came.

"Come on, Your Highness," Dìl Dìon said coldly after relishing in the prince's pain. "The king is eager to see you."