Purpose

Audrey answered, "Sorry if we've been beating around the bush. It's an abominable habit. We'd created 'Robo-Mentor', the most intelligent machine on the planet. Its purpose is to gather and organize all the world's science and wisdom into our customized database. Using a modified Darwinian theorem, it can produce breakthroughs by analyzing theories, develop engineering blueprints ready for manufacturing. It has the potential for solving important mysteries that stumped mankind for centuries. Imagine; the world's ailments can be cured. Pollution can be cleaned up. We can end scarcity."

"But what will prevent it from taking over the world, enslaving or exterminating the humans?" Stephen anxiously asked.

Corin sighed, while trying to rein in his impatience. "As a precaution, we isolated the computer from the outside world. All our environmental controls are operated manually. All utilities are operated with manual switches. They're powered by wind turbines and solar panels connected to backup batteries. Not one door use a motor. You need to open them all by hand; just like the ones inside my grandfather's rustic cabin by the lake. The worst Robo-Mentor can do is make rude comments, and even that is doubtful because we incorporated a set of moral codes. Jim programmed it Christian values, while Jack's beta testing skills is top notch. The computer will not go rogue."

"I don't think I want to be near any computers that follow a slave driver god that gave death sentences to Ananias and Sapphira for lying. That must've terrorized everyone in the town back in the days."

The two programmers groaned.

Jim responded, "My former church happened to be where abolitionist William Lloyd Garrison gave his first speech demanding slavery to end. The Second Great Awakening in America brought forth important reforms, including abolitionism; all men are created equal in the heart of God. My current church is sponsoring Robo-Mentor social study project with a purpose of reducing violence in their city."

Before more arguments fly, Corin showed his executive colors. "Stop!" He stared outside for a long time while silence restrained the others. Stephen always prides himself in patiently giving his subject any amount of time they need. Besides, the longer the interview takes, the longer he could relax on the cushy leather chair. He didn't want to face the demanding stairs again.

It took two minutes for Corin to gather his next train of thoughts. His long silence was unusual. Normally, he's a talkative bundle of energy. "These days, people associate any new invention as Frankensteins. One MIT graduate I know, Eric Brende, published a book titled Better Off: Flipping the Switch on Technology. He wants to banish high technology. Seeing ads for his book at the MIT bookstore really pained me. Even a college with a high reputation for science has alumni criticizing technology. When I was a seven-year old boy, my father was diagnosed with cancer. Only the latest breakthrough in peptide receptor radionuclide therapy saved him. Father did eventually die, but thanks to modern medicine, he lived long enough to nourish my life as a teenager and attend my MIT graduation ceremony. At his deathbed, I swore to give science a good name. It restored my father to health. In return, I'm going to restore people's admiration for science. I owe it that much."

Corin's body languages and softly spoken words reflected his intimate emotions. Every word he spoke was backed by sincerity. Stephen was speechless by the strength of his delivery, in spite of Corin's bland words.

Jim told his story, "My first girlfriend, a beautiful model blessed with a head full of long, black hair, came from New Age hippie parents who are against vaccines. While we considered marriage, she came down with pneumococcal disease. She sweated with fever, chills, joint pains so agonizing that she could only hobble from her bed to the bathroom. At the end, brain damage turned her into a ranting walking dead monster I couldn't handle. She died alone screaming, her decaying body thrashing against restraints. I was exposed, but suffered no problems thanks to my vaccinations."