Act One: Calm Before The Storm

RSS Stalwart

Exact Location Classified, South China Sea

Local time 1840 hours

All was quiet on the bridge of the RSS Stalwart as she steamed through the warm choppy waters of the South China Sea. Night was rapidly approaching and in the distance, dark fluffy clouds were gathering overhead, along with the rumblings of what could soon be a heavy downpour.

The atmosphere on the bridge was, however, tense as the crew manned their stations. Perhaps it was the result of them knowing what could happen in the next 24 hours as they sailed into the South China Sea, nearing the Southern portion of the Spratly Islands to monitor Chinese fleet movements. Before they left Changi, they had been briefed on the imminent war with China and the foreknowledge that they were the first in harm's way created a serious and sombre mood over what was once a cheerful and bubbly crew.

Nevertheless, their training in the Navy had prepared them for such an occasion, for they were able to bottle up their emotions and focus on their current tasks and responsibilities. But, some could not help but wonder whether they would be able to see their loved ones and families again.

In the meantime, located near the central area of the bridge, in between the navigation station on the right and the weapons station on the left, the Officer of the Watch (OOW), Second Lieutenant Lo Shu Qi, was nestled in the captain's chair, watching on as the ship continued its journey. As the OOW, she had full responsibility of coordinating the crew on the bridge and making sure they didn't crash head on to any other obstacles, such as other ships, while in the absence of both the Captain and the First Officer (XO).

"Ma'am, Nav reports no close contacts. Nearest surface contacts are 3 civilian ships, Royal Malaysian Navy ship KD Maharaja Lela and 2 fishing boats. Closest contacts are 15 nautical miles out (or 27 km)," the navigational officer reported.

"Very good. Keep me posted on any sudden movements," Shu Qi said.

"Yes ma'am."

Looking around the bridge as the 28-year old patiently waited to complete her shift on the bridge, which wouldn't end for another 4 hours, she couldn't help but think of what might come next as they proceeded deeper into hostile territory. Nobody knew Singapore and China, both Chinese-majority countries, would experience such a dive in bilateral relations, especially since many Singaporeans and Chinese alike had relatives in either country, like Shu Qi. She wasn't even able to say her goodbyes to her grandparents before the Ministry of Communications and Information shuttered all Internet connections from China and banned the use of Chinese apps, citing national security concerns.

Furthermore, on the military side of the issue, the Chinese Navy had grown significantly in strength and capabilities in the last decade, allowing them to threaten even the most advanced and powerful navies in the region, including Japan and the United States. In the aftermath of the Taiwan Reunification, the Chinese had also expanded their presence in the Spratly Islands considerably, and together with rumours of the Chinese fleet being spotted in the Spratly Islands, they could only mean one thing — war is imminent and very soon the press of a button would determine whether they live or die.

Keeping that grim thought in mind, her mind shifted to a reflection of her service in the Navy thus far. Having achieved the rank of Second Lieutenant, Shu Qi had only been in the Navy for 4 years, spending most of her first year in Basic Military Training and later, furthering her studies and training in the United States for most of her second and third year. In total, she had only been on two deployments to sea, once aboard a training vessel and another aboard the littoral combat ship RSS Sovereignty. Now on her third deployment — and her first combat one, she still had some doubts about her experience and abilities — whether her studies in the States and all of her training thus far were sufficient to prepare her for what's next. She did realise, though, that literally nobody in the entire Singapore Armed Forces had actual combat experience as Singapore has never been at war since her independence in 1965, and despite having participated in a few overseas deployments for peacekeeping operations, never once fired in anger.