02|| Intermittent Chaos

Start from the beginning

"Do not move a muscle."
JJ and Sophia quickly disentangle, looking around madly for the voice that had just spoken. Surely they hadn't imagined it.

A good minute passes in silence and utter confusion. The location of Aisle 91, both JJ and Sophia thought to be an advantage were now being used against them. The car hidden by the shade, they themselves just a little further into the more lit part underneath the bridge, the rest a cocoon of darkness. The voice could have come from anywhere.

Instinctively both JJ and Sophia try to take a step back, hoping to also conceal themselves in the darkness.

"I must insist that you do not move a muscle!"
The voice roars again, the long barrel of a hand gun slowly coming into light as his full profile appears from their right.
Long coat almost sweeping the ground, leather boots and an unkempt beard.

"Crawford?"
Sophia calls, as the figure steps fully into the light.

"Hello again, Mrs Johnson. Mr Johnson."
He trains the gun on the two of them.
"I'd be borrowing your car."
Crawford says with some gusto and sarcasm pervading his voice.

"You know him"
JJ asks, his eyes not moving from the gun.

"Personal security for my boss, I had no idea he'd been following me."
Sophia clutches JJ's hand and whispers,
"We can't let him take the research."

"Car keys, Now! "
Crawford eyes glistened, clearly irritated by what Sophia had just done.

JJ calculated in his head if he could grab the gun from Crawford before he managed to pull the trigger. If it came to a tussle or hand fight, JJ knew he could hold his own. He was sure he could take Crawford down, but the distance between them was a lot. JJ would have to sprint towards Crawford putting himself at a disadvantage, he'd be giving him ample time and space to shoot. There was also the option of misfire, he couldn't risk putting Sophia in that kind of danger. Especially not over some papers.

"Why are you doing this?"
Sophia calls to Crawford.

Crawford lowers his gun for a second, disbelief etched on his face.
"Why not?"
He snaps and aims again. this time clutching the gun with both hands.
"You've stolen company secrets!"

"I didn't steal anything! Do you know what he intends to do once he gets his hands on that research?!"
Sophia's voice thunders back. Almost like she was trying to goad him.
JJ is shell-shocked at Sophia's bravery but wonders if it's wise riling up a man with a gun. JJ couldn't tell if he was intent on using it, the flurry of awkwardness in Crawford's posture and uncertainty in Crawford's eyes made him unpredictable and difficult to read, but perhaps this could be the perfect distraction.

Crawford doesn't reply immediately, almost like he was pondering on Sophia's question. Then all of a sudden his demeanor turns ice-cold, the uncertainty JJ had seen in his eyes just a minute ago, now filled with a blank glare, "I couldn't care less. Keys!"
He motions with the gun.

Sophia squeezes JJ's hands tighter and whispered.
"Don't do it"

"He's going to shoot us Sophie, it's just goddamn research. "
JJ hears the trigger click, followed by an ear rupturing gunshot, the bullet tearing into the ground just a few meters from his feet.

"Enough!" Crawford voice roars.

"Wait a minute,"
Sophia glared at Crawford again, more subtly this time and with caution.
"You obviously have no intentions of taking my research back to LP Co, do you? It makes no sense that you'd want to take our car, or that you'd even be here alone. You would've called this in already, instead you're here, holding us at gun point."