1 - the girl on the train

September1943__________________

September
1943
__________________

"Are you drawing me?"

He slowly lowered the clothbound novel he was reading to his lap as he raised his dark brows up at her in dubiety.

There was no space left in any of the other compartments. Due to her elder brother's repeated tardiness, the Archangel siblings arrived at Kings Cross station mere moments before the Hogwarts Express' departure to Scotland at eleven in the morning. So, unable to find any of her friends amidst the pandemonium on the first of September, Aurora Archangel - both tired and simultaneously hungry from a half-finished breakfast - wound up scurrying into the only space left: a compartment very near the rear of the crimson train, occupied by only one student, to her sheer surprise, as every other one was teeming with chattering pupils excited to return to the castle.

She opened her small mouth and closed it again, gulped and then nodded, too afraid to meet the piercing, dark-blue eyes of the pale boy dressed in all-black and tweed sat across from her. Aurora  surmised that he was too engrossed in whatever he was reading to pay much mind to her harried quill strokes against her sketchbook. He'd only looked up with a conspicuously forced, purse-lipped smile when she first entered the compartment looking incredibly flustered, only as a means to make her not feel unwelcome - she had conjectured. He seemed to be kind, albeit a little reserved, like a bud in a garden awaiting its bloom.

Aurora had a penchant for talking too much when she got comfortable, so she decided to remain silent. Although, she did not know how long she could endure the silence in the compartment that morning. Aurora had a vibrant disposition that mirrored her name in both spirit and appearance - her wardrobe was a kaleidoscope of colours; she donned a cable-knit jumper and accessorised herself with bright jewelry that jangled as she drew. 

"I'm sorry, I can stop if you're uncomfortable with it... it's a habit of mine. I am a habitual artist." She glanced down at the page and back up at the boy, grinning sheepishly. 

"You're Scottish?"

She nodded, smiling with her teeth. "I'm from Edinburgh." 

"What are you doing here then? I'm sure there's another method of transportation to Hogwarts for students that live closest to the castle."

"I'm staying with my relatives in London at the moment," she explained. "Not for long though, with the muggle war and all - it makes the city dangerous. Those air-raid sirens are frightening," she shivered subconsciously. 

Aurora recognised the boy although they'd never once spoken. His name was Tom, and he was a Slytherin student in the year above. He was quiet and like Aurora had surmised from his behaviour, reserved, too, yet he was incredibly smart, relatively popular for his academic achievements, and respected by their professors at school.