"And the shell?" Kiri asked softly, a pit forming in her stomach at the question as if the final piece of such an intricately designed accessory would be the final turning point of everything.

"The shell symbolizes the resilience of devotion, though different colors mean different things..." Ao'nung mumbled as he ran his hand thumb over the green-hued shell.

"Green shows hope and positivity towards well-being," Ao'nung stated as Kiri stared at the neckpiece sadly, as if there was a deeper meaning to all of this, that she was so painfully unaware of that it was practically weighing her down.

And the silence around them seemed deafening.

"Ao'nung, why do you have this?" Kiri asked softly, and the far-off look in the man's eyes left her feeling shaken, that look was so similar to the one she had seen in the reflection of the water of herself.

It was a chilling look.

"I suppose I had too much hope..." Ao'nung mumbled, clutching the accessory in his palm as he watched the gentle waves crash against the shoreline of the cove.

"Can you tell me, please?" Kiri offered, placing a gentle hand on the hunter's knee, trying to offer some reassurance, because that look on the Metkayina's face was too painfully familiar for her to just leave it be.

And for the first time in years, he allowed his mind to wander to different times when life didn't seem as shallow and hollow, and the hope for a brighter future still burned brighter within himself.

"Aiya! Ao'nung!" A voice called that caught the boy's attention, turning from his task of untangling the nets for fishing to face the Omaticaya boy that was coming toward him in quick strides.

"Hm, what is it, forest boy?" Ao'nung huffed, turning away from the boy who merely scoffed playfully and crouched at his side, nudging his shoulder playfully to get his attention.

"I wanted to see if I was right," Neteyam answered, grinning as he watched Ao'nung go from passively focused on his task to confused, turning his head to look at the boy who was only a few months younger than him.

"Right about what?" Ao'nung scoffed, flexing his shoulders to make himself appear bigger, not that it was necessary, he was already broader than the Omaticaya boy.

"That you felt guilty about how you tricked Lo'ak." Neteyam chuckled, watching with only slight amusement as the other boy's expression fell and he looked away from Neteyam shamefully.

"I do." Ao'nung retorted begrudgingly, Neteyam merely nodding as he picked up an end of the net Ao'nung had been working on.

"Good. I could tell either way, but I prefer it if you two actually go along. Not to mention I don't want to have a scare like that again." Neteyam laughed, skillfully untangling the net as Ao'nung watched curiously for a moment before grabbing the other end and working his way through it.

"I don't see why you should care, forest boy." Ao'nung scoffed, Neteyam only smirking cheekily as he chuckled, shaking his head fondly.

"Lo'ak is overly rambunctious and sometimes prideful, you're stubborn and just as prideful as him. I know you two will ram your heads together from time to time, but you should still try to get along." Neteyam stated knowingly, Ao'nung humming in response, truly having no counterargument to the statement.

"And why should I?" Ao'nung questioned teasingly, a playful smirk barely quirking his lips.

"Because I ask you to. Also, because it's better to have peace, rather than war." Neteyam retorted, pulling out the final knot in the net as he helped Ao'nung hang it up to prevent it from tangling once again.