𝟚𝟚 - 𝔸 𝕝𝕠𝕤𝕚𝕟𝕘 𝕔𝕒𝕦𝕤𝕖

𝕀𝕥 was the day of Margaery's release from the cells of the sept, planned to be complete with a Walk of Atonement just like Cersei's. But we relied on the Tyrells' support more than ever, and so, grudgingly as it may have been, Cersei had agreed with Olenna that they could not let the public humiliation of yet another queen happen. "How did it go?", Cersei asked from her place at the table when Jaime finally returned, contempt lighting up in her eyes for the easy way the girl had gotten off. "I didn't hear anyone in the streets." Jaime's face was none too promising, though. "We stopped the Walk as planned. But-" He trailed off, obviously contemplating how best to word this. "But what?", I asked impatiently. Jaime looked us both in the eyes in turn, stopping on Cersei's. "But Tommen had arrived before us", he said. "After we had successfully confronted the High Sparrow, he walked out to stand by Margaery and announced that the Crown and the Faith would be united under his rule - 'the twin pillars upon which this world rests'." Cersei ground her teeth at her own words being spun into a snare for her naive son. He had no idea what a cult he was empowering, blinded by love for his young queen. "It was as if the old man had expected us to show up, as if he had planned it." "My thoughts exactly", Cersei replied heatedly. "They set us up for a performance, and we walked right into it like court fools. But Tommen... my own son... how could he not have told me? Does he have so little trust in me?" I placed my hand on hers. "He's young, love." Jaime didn't appear bothered by the term of endearment. Perhaps he was finally conceding. "Right now, he is head over heels for his bride, and whatever she tells him, he believes. She no doubt claimed it would be best not to trouble you with such matters after all your recent turmoil, and he followed her lead. But you are his mother, he knows he can always trust you. Speak to him, let him know what concerns you have about this new alliance. He will listen, have no fear." Cersei squeezed my hand thankfully. "You always find the right words, Vallery." "Although the Tyrells are currently occupied with their own problems, other matters require our attention", Jaime cut in. Cersei and I both looked up at him with a frown, wondering what else there could be. "The Freys have proven incapable of holding a castle that isn't their own. The Blackfish has taken up residence there again and, to no one's suprise and everyone's annoyance, they need our help to take it back." "The Blackfish?", I asked, getting up from my seat. "Brynden Tully?" Jaime confirmed with a nod. "Let me come with you. He's my great-uncle, perhaps he'll listen to me and surrender peacefully." Seeming to consider this, Jaime inclined his head. "I'd be happy to avoid bloodshed if I can. But... aren't you confined to the Keep? You can't leave." I snorted, a rather undignified sound for a lady like me. "Please. Those dirty zealots want to keep me locked up in here like a disobedient little dog, they can bloody well try. I am a direwolf of the North, and I will not be chained at some scrubby bird's command." "Very well, then", Jaime replied, "come along. Let's hope the old Tully lives by his House words and puts family before honor."

🐺🦁🐺🦁🐺🦁🐺🦁🐺🦁🐺🦁

It had been an easy thing to take command over the Freys. A few had been stubborn, but at the end of the day, no one wanted to mess with Ser Jaime Lannister. Now, however, the siege's proceedings depended on me. I hovered at the edge of the moat, watching as a drawbridge was lowered to allow my passage. Archers stood at the ready atop the allure, all of their crossbows pointed at me. Not the familiar welcome I had hoped for, so far. When the bridge had locked into place, it revealed Brynden and about a dozen of his men waiting for me. He beckoned me in, and I tried not to let my nervousness show as I entered. This was my first time away from the capital in over five years, and I realized the length of that duration with a sudden shock. It felt absurd that so much time should have passed since I had first met Cersei and my life had changed completely. Five years of loving in secret, five years of leading a double life, five years that had gone by in a blur. Was this what it felt like to spend your life with someone you loved, barely taking note of the passage of time because everything was perfect as long as you two were just together? The Blackfish led me to a walkway looking out on the siege troops below. "So, my dear grand-niece, how have you planned to convince me to surrender my ancestral castle?" His voice was dripping with cynicism. "I know we have never met", I began, "but you are my mother's uncle. For the love you bore her, I beg you, take my word for the Lannisters' kindness toward my family and give Riverrun to them peacefully. None of your men need to die. Ser Jaime will let you live out the rest of your life in a good home-" "Kindness toward your family, eh?", he sneered. "Tell me, child, how kind were they when they took your father's head? When they gave your sister first to that young maniac, and then to his lustful uncle? How kind were they when they ordered your mother and brother slaughtered at my nephew's wedding?" I balled my fists. "I'm not a child", I growled quietly. "And those things were Joffrey and Tywin's doing, both of whom are dead now." "Fine. How did Cersei treat your sister? What did the honorable Ser Jaime ever do to stop Joffrey's violent outbursts? How well is King Tommen able to control anything in his city?" He shook his head. "They may have been kind to you, child, but not to your family." Pausing, he surveyed the siege lines. "Where did you leave your direwolf, hm? Surely you took her with you in case it comes to battle. Didn't want to bring her in so you'd seem more Tully?" I didn't answer, because he was speaking true. "Well, you're not. I'd say you're a Stark, but I'm not sure you are even that anymore. Yes, they've done a marvellous job molding you into a Lannister, another soldier in their army of entitlement." The words stung, but not as much as I expected them to. I supposed he was right in a way - I did already count myself as one of them. But I was also still a Stark, I would always be. And when Starks fought, they intended to win. "It seems there is nothing left for us to discuss here", I replied coldly when I finally found my voice again. "Perhaps you will regret your insistence come the morrow."