“You do not believe that you were sent to save us?” Beth’s mother asked Izzie, frowning up at the warrior woman.

“I think your daughter,” Izzie nodded to the young girl that had alerted them to the fight, “stepped in front of our horses and we heard the fight. There was no mystical light or angel that guided our path to you,”

They all stared at her; it was uncommon for anyone to not believe in God and those who didn’t were burnt as witches more often than not.

“Well, forgive me, but I feel as if God made you like this to save others,” Beth’s mother stood as she pushed the others away, “Everyone has a duty; yours is a protector,”

Izzie kept her mouth shut, knowing that what she might say back was not polite; because if she was true then God had a sick sense of humour.

The next day they all travelled on together, despite Izzie’s claim that they would slow them down; they needed to get back on track and get ahead of the army before they burnt another town to the ground.

Beth and her family were walking along with the female archer, Dawn, who Izzie kept in front of her just in case she tried to pull anything though if she did she was as stupid as Izzie thought she was.

“I’m going to go and scout ahead,” Drystan announced to the others.

Izzie envied him for able to get away, why hadn’t she thought of that earlier?

“Isadora,” Drystan turned back when he slightly ahead of them, “Would you like to come with me?”

Everyone looked between Izzie and Drystan, scouting was normally an individual job, and Izzie was caught between getting away from the heard and staying so they didn’t think something was going on between her and Drystan.

“I wouldn’t mind,” Dawn spoke up when Izzie didn’t reply straight away.

“No,” Izzie shouted a bit louder than necessary and pushed her horse forward, past Dawn until she was beside Drystan, “Scouting’s a dangerous business and we wouldn’t want your pretty dress to get ruined,”

Dawn narrowed her eyes at Izzie but she just turned back and headed on with Drystan who was regarding her rather peculiarly.

“Oh, shut up,” Izzie snapped at him.

“I didn’t say anything,” Drystan chuckled, holding up a hand in defence.

“I could hear you thinking,” Izzie explained but that sounded rather strange to her and they fell into silence.

The repetitive sound of horses hooves against the ground and her breathing filled her ears almost soothingly as they progressed through the country, heading for the next village.