Chapter 29: Cinnamon

Start from the beginning

Haitani Ran entered the classroom and everybody bated their breath. Having to deal with one of the brothers and getting used to his presence was enough, but now, they have to encounter the older sibling which was such a wild card on whether or not he'll randomly attack.

"He's not with you?" (Y/n) knitted her brows in bewilderment, growing more concerned by the second, "Rindo left earlier in the morning so I thought he went to find you."

Ran sighed in realization, "I think I know where he is. He's probably sleeping in one of those empty classrooms we would hang out in."

"Eh? Why would he sleep there and not here? Or rather, back in your guys' apartment?"

"Probably not to worry you," the older Haitani merely shrugged and began to walk back the way he came, "Anyways, I'll see you later."

"Wait, Ran, can I have a word with you?" (Y/n) stood up and approached him with a conflicted expression. He stared at her for a brief second before shrugging and heading out the door with her following suit.

Once they left and closed the door, the people in the room released a sigh of relief. Maybe they should be glad that the new girl was apart of their class if it meant keeping the Haitani brothers in check.

As soon as the door closed, (Y/n) went to open her mouth a couple of times, but ended up closing it and exhaling in frustration. She didn't know how to go about what she wanted to say, and especially asking advice from somebody else who may or may not care for her worries. Meanwhile, Ran was slowly getting impatient and becoming more annoyed at his younger brother's relationship.

"Just spit it out. You're worried about Rindo, aren't you?" Ran spoke up and (y/n) winced.

"Was it that obvious...?" She nervously chuckled.

"Why else do you want to talk to me?" Ran leaned against the wall and crossed his arms. He then smirked at her, "Although I'm not surprised, it is Rindo we're talking about. So what is it?"

"Well, when we first got together, you warned me how Rindo is pretty spoiled and gets whatever he wants, whenever he wants," she started, to which he nodded in recollection, "And I noticed it. How he completely disregarded his own health to tell me how he felt. How he revealed to the school that we're together despite my request. And along with that, how he tells everyone to stay away from me at all costs... I admit, some of those could be reasoned out, and yet... it feels like he's running this relationship at his pace. I feel like something's bothering him and I'm getting worried, but I don't know how to approach him."

She glared into nothingness as the taller male exhaled loudly, "He appears to be an open book, but he's pretty closed off, right?"

"Yeah..."

"I'm sure he must've told you by now, but Rindo and I are all we have," Ran stated almost matter-of-factly and she listened intently, "We don't trust very easily. Sure, we have a lot of people to hang out with in a click of a button and we have a couple of good friends as well, but it's easy for us to throw people away when we don't want them anymore. That's how we don't get hurt— if we never let them in our lives in the first place."

(Y/n) looked up at him with a concerned glint of sadness in her (e/c) eyes, "Is he going to do the same to me?"

"Quite the opposite, actually," Ran grinned and she unknowingly sighed in relief, "He cares about you, you know that? You're the first person to so freely enter his life that he's scared...

He's scared to lose you."

The (h/c)-nette pressed her lips together into a thin line and looked away in shame and frustration. God, her emotions were haywire. On one hand, she appreciated how much he cared for her; and on the other, it was getting overbearing how protective and impulsive he could be at times.