Chapter 15: Finding the Balance

Começar do início

It seemed that his romantic gesture had worked. But first, he had to deal with the matter at hand. Was his father here trying to ruin this for him and his lifemate? This he would not allow.

His Nu deserved the best, and he worked hard to provide the perfect moment, only to be destroyed by a spoiled, petulant father. After the god bond ceremony, he remembered everything since the beginning of his existence.

His first memory was Nu's string in the palm of Zeus's hand and the overwhelming love he felt. When Zeus placed the string in his hand, his existence splintered into a thousand pieces. Thinking about that moment, he realized just how pitiful his life up to that point was.

Here is the person he would do anything for. The immense implications of a decision for a god to become mortal, to throw away immortality for love, were beyond anything his father or any god except maybe Zeus could understand. He knew Zeus would lay down his life for his mother-in-law Hera, as it should be.

"Great Father Zeus, I, a minor god, request to be tied to this string for all eternity. I will stand by this string, whether here or in the mortal realm. This string was created for me and is the lifemate I have been searching for. Please grant me this for the debt owed to me. I have never asked for anything in return, but this is worth everything," Zee begged Zeus.

The emotions radiating from him were love and desperation to be with the string he had yet to give back to Zeus but cupped lovingly in his hand.

When Ares saw his reaction to the string and his request to Zeus to stay by Nu's side, his father became incensed, and he was called a fool.

Ares, at that moment, made a wager that if Zee could endure one full day of punishment, he would agree to the absurd request. He was hoping that Zee would cave and give up that folly.

Instead, Zee readily accepted. Zeus created the pact, and the torture began. He received many beatings, berating, and punishments that no human could imagine, but he stood firm and won. It was worth every moment for what he had now.

Ares was still sulking about his decision and losing what he thought was a sure bet. Zee was so disappointed in his father that he declared he would cut ties with Ares when he left the god realm to be born human.

"I, Zee, swear that I do not consider Ares, my father. Every wound, every cut, every word will be counted against him. The pain and humiliation I suffered were a tribute to my love for my lifemate. What kind of father does this to his son? I can never trust him around my mate or me. What did I do that was so wrong? He should be punished, and what should be his sentence? Give me justice," Zee screamed to the sky.

When Ares heard these words from his beloved son, he felt each word physically, and he knew regret for the first time. He told no one, but Zeus could sense his guilt but said nothing.

Zee would not back down. Even with such a declaration to his father, Zeus did not approve the oath or request, so, for better or worse, for now, he was still his father. This was the one problem he still needed to solve.

He had often thought of his father and realized they did not have many good memories together. His father was a hard taskmaster; his ideas were all that mattered, and everyone should fall in line. He disagreed.

If his father cannot accept or treat his lifemate with love and respect, their relationship will remain in a stalemate. He has asked Zeus to keep his father away.

His priority was his lifemate. With his memories, he can be the lifemate he always wanted and thought he could never be. He had yet to figure out why Zeus would bring him here tonight, and he will ask him soon enough.