Adjusting

Hermione POV

We got off the train at Hogwarts and I already saw people staring at the slytherins and whispering, no doubt blaming them for the war.  I rolled my eyes, seeing how petty everyone was being then turned back to the slytherins to see how they were taking it.  I was surprised, to say the least.  They were showing an enormous amount of restraint.  They obviously noticed the stares, but they ignored it and talked amongst themselves, laughing as if nothing happened.  I smiled, a tiny smile, and walked away from the group.  

I had gotten a letter from McGonagall saying to talk to her as soon as I got off the train, without any delay.  I went off and tried to find her.  

She stood a little ways away from the castle so I went up and tapped her shoulder.

"Professor?  It's me, Hermione.  You told me to meet you immediately?"

She looked startled and took a closer look at me.

"Hermione!  Dear, it's been so long.  You've changed, into a Zabini, I presume?"

She peered over her glasses at me as I nodded.  She continued talking.

"Very well then.  Since many things were contributing and interfering with preciseness, we will have you do a resorting if you wish so that you get to have at least one year with accurate results."

I was surprised that was what she called me over for.  I, personally, hadn't thought of that and honestly couldn't care less about it.

"Uhhh...yeah sure.  Um, I hadn't really thought about that."

She smiled at me and had a sad look in her eyes.

"Hermione...you've changed.  I can see that.  Not just in appearance, but also mentally.  I know this war has affected people in so many different ways on several levels.  I know how hard it must be to adapt to this new family while coping with the war and the fact that you were adopted.  But, I must say, I'm glad your appearance didn't change too much."

I was confused, seeing that I believed my appearance completely and utterly changed.  I think she saw this through my hair and chuckled.

"Darling, do you not realize it?  Nothing about you changed except for your hair color, eyes, and skin tone.  And even that's only a bit darker.  Your face is the same, as is your body.  And I'm glad for it.  Ok, the sorting is about to start.  You better head inside.  You'll be last, alright?"

I nodded and started to make my way inside, her words echoing inside my head.  My body hadn't changed...nothing's changed.  I'm just plain old me.  Ugly old me.  Nothing more.  

As I walk in, I stay off to the side.  I see Blaise and his friends laughing and talking, not at all noticing my absence.  I smiled.  That's exactly what I wanted.  Soon I'll be gone anyway.  It's better not to get attached.  I turn to look back at the Gryffindor table where I see Ron and Harry, laughing.  They don't look like they're missing me.  I get angry over that.  I was with them all 7 years of school and throughout the war and they used me.  Those assholes.  I glare at them for a long while, then I scoff.

I turn my attention back to the sorting to see the last kid get sorted into Ravenclaw.  Everyone turned back to their table, expecting the feast to start, but then I walk out.  Headmaster McGonagall caught my eyes and nodded.

"Students!  Before we begin, we have one last student that has to get...resorted"

Murmurs started and I see Blaise swing his head over to me.  I nod to him but make sure I don't open the twin telepathy even when I feel him trying to access it in my brain.  I turn back to the Headmaster.

"This student has been under a false identity all this time, not by her own choice, as she also only recently found out about her true family, but it is only fair that she gets a chance to be in her true house, if only for one last year.  This student, previously known as Hermione Granger, is now Hermione Zabini!"

I walked up to the podium and sat down, taking in all the whispers around me , the stares.  

I looked down at my hands.  I pushed my nail into my palm, hoping for even the slightest relief.  I got none.  I sighed and kept doing it while awaiting my fate.

I felt the sorting hat placed upon my head.  It started speaking.

"Ah, Hermione.  I see you're back.  This time there's no spell keeping me from placing you in the right house.  I see you've been through many things.  Your fight, your old home, your-"

I stopped him from going through my mind by blocking it.  He laughed and started talking again.

"Blocked me from seeing it...interesting.  No one's done that before.  Not even Harry Potter or Tom Riddle.  You truly are amazing..."

Trying to focus on something else, I looked around the room.  The whispers intensified as they saw how long it was taking for me to be sorted.

"Alright I see your in a hurry.  I have made my choice...SLYTHERIN!"

I hopped off the stool as the table burst into cheers.  I could see Harry, Ron, and Ginny looking at me in disgust.  I looked down and went to sit down.

Shortly after, we were led to the head girl and boy dorm.  I saw Malfoy in there and greeted him, already expecting him to be head boy.  After all, he was right behind me in everything.  We got situated and I told him I was tired.

I went to my room and sat down on the bed, taking out my dagger.

I sliced.

I smiled.

Maybe I would adjust.

Just like this.