Chapter 2: Leaving the shire

Start bij het begin

"Do you know where they went?" Bilbo asked a little nervous about what Thorin would do to them if he found out.

"Unfortunately, we do. We found some tracks and went to investigate where they went. It led to 3 trolls." Fili explained as Bilbo's nervousness increased.

"We must tell Thorin!" Bilbo exclaimed as the two dwarrow's eyes widened.

"No need for that master Baggins..! We don't want to worry uncle! Besides, you can just steal them back!" Kili said as Fili nodded at his brother's idea.

"Are you mentally ill?! I can't do that..!" Bilbo exclaimed at the two dwarrow, overlooking the fact that they called thorin their uncle.

"You're our burglar, aren't you? Just think of it as practice." Fili said, but Bilbo's anxiety was still rising.

"F-fine..! But you need to tell Thorin just in case something happens!" Bilbo agreed as the brothers nodded hesitantly.

"There!" Fili whispered, pointing at the ponies. Bilbo stared, frozen in place, at the three trolls. The trolls seemed to be preparing to cook the ponies. Bilbo snapped back into reality and shifted his gaze to the ponies, trying to think of a plan on how to get them free.

"You boys go get Thorin," Bilbo whispered as he looked at the boys.

"But-" Fili said but Bilbo cut him off.

"Just do it!" He said as the boys gave a hesitant nod and left.

Bilbo sucked in his breath as he approached the ponies. The ponies shifted their gaze to him as he settled behind the gaze of the trolls.

"Don't worry, I'll get you guys out," Bilbo reassured the ponies as he tried freeing the ponies from the knots the trolls did. Even though trolls are unintelligent beings, they seem to have enough brain cells to tie a few knots.

"Mutton the day before and mutton again! I'm getting sick of this!" One of the trolls grunted as he complained.

"If ya don't want it then we'll eat it then!" The other one replied as he pushed the first troll.

"How much longer? I'm starving! Might as well eat them without that!" The troll said as he gestured to the soup the other troll was preparing.

"Be patient!" The other troll replied. Bilbo rolled his eyes at the bickering trio and continued to untie the knots. A few moments later, he managed to free the ponies but it seemed that the trolls have noticed his presence.

"What do we have here?" The troll said as he picked bilbo up by his clothes.

"Ah..! Put me down..!" Bilbo said as he tried to fight the grip of the troll.

"What is it?" The other troll said as he approached the troll that was holding Bilbo.

"I'm a burglar-hobbit!" He said, cutting himself off.

"Burglarhobbit? What is that? Is it tasty?" The third troll asked.

"Who cares, I am starving. I'm going to eat it." The troll said as he started moving Bilbo near his mouth.

"N-no...No!" Bilbo screamed as he wiggled his way out of the troll's hand.

"Oi, get back here and let me eat you!" The troll said as he tried to grab bilbo for the second time.

With a rush of his survival instinct, Bilbo let out a sudden burst of power that shook the surrounding area, causing a small earthquake. Since the trolls were hit, head-on, by Bilbo's sudden burst of power, they suddenly started turning to stone as if the sun shined on them. Bilbo fell to his knees as his chest suddenly started hurting. He knew that the sudden burst of power took a toll on him and he was trying to catch his breath. As if on cue, the company and Gandalf suddenly arrived with weapons in hand only to meet the stoned trolls and a gasping Bilbo.

"Master Baggins!" Ori shrieked as he noticed the hobbit gasping for air. The company seemed to snap out of their daze and went to their hobbit.

"Are you alright, master Baggins?" Óin said as he examined the hobbit. Bilbo nodded as his breathing started regulating.

"What happened?" Thorin asked the hobbit as Bilbo stood up, slowly.

"I-i don't know...Fili and Kili told me about the ponies and I tried to steal them back when all of a sudden one of the trolls captured me and-" He abruptly stopped. They don't know about his abilities.

"And?" Thorin pushed.

"A-and they suddenly turned to stone.." Bilbo lied, avoiding eye contact. Thorin eyed him warily, not quite believing his story but leaving the topic alone.

"Why are you out of breath?" Dwalin asked earning a glare from Fili and Kili.

"I-i was away before they caught me," Bilbo replied softly trying to regain his composure.

"Are you sure you're alright, my boy?" Gandalf asked as Bilbo nodded.

"I saw a troll cave along that area, perhaps there might be some useful treasures in them?" Bilbo said, changing the topic. Thankfully, the dwarrow seemed to forget about it for a moment and asked him where the cave was. He pointed at a small cave behind the trolls' lifeless bodies and some of the dwarrow left.

"Are you not coming, master Boggins?" Fili asked using the nickname they gave him. Bilbo sighed knowing they wouldn't get rid of that nickname soon.

"I'll be here, I can not stand the odor inside that cave," Bilbo said as he gave the boys a soft smile.

"Suit yourself," Kili replied as Fili shrugged and they left.

Bilbo sat on the ground as he thought back to what just happened. How did he do that? He knew he can control plants and the wind, and talk to animals but to turn trolls into stone? He held up his hand to his chest and felt the gentle hum of his power course through his body. The slow decrease in his racing heartbeat caused him to close his eyes and feel the gentle breeze of the wind hit his face.

After a few minutes, the company emerged from the cave with new weapons and gold in hand. Thorin approached him with a dagger in hand. Thorin stopped in front of him and offered him the dagger. Bilbo stared at the dagger and then at Thorin with a perplexed look on his face.

"Take it, halfling. This is the only sword you can use since it's the perfect size and weight for you." Thorin said as Bilbo stared at him even more.

"Just take the letter opener," Thorin said as Bilbo went back to reality and took the sword.

"I hope you can now protect yourself with this. I wouldn't want you to get hurt therefore causing this quest delay." Thorin said coldly. Bilbo gave the king a small, and almost unnoticeable, glare and stood back up.

"It would take more than trolls to take me down."

- - - -

Oops I accidentally made this chapter 1.7k words long (it was only supposed to be 1.6k) anyways, I hope you guys enjoyed this chapter. Please vote and comment for more, have a wonderful day/night peeps.