Chapter 16

I sit in the cafe where I met Sawyer, attempting to write a song. For the last hour I've been sitting here in front of the intimidating blank page and instead of thinking about song ideas, all my mind will go back to is the kiss.

I kissed Sawyer.

I kissed Sawyer and he didn't run away screaming.

I kissed Sawyer and he kissed me back.

Sawyer called me beautiful.

Wow.

"Olivia? Is that you?" a familiar voice which I'd hoped I'd never have to hear again was ringing in my ears, pulling me from my thoughts.

Slowly I turn around and sure enough there he is, Eric, my older brother.

"Oh, hi Eric," I say, not bothering to hide the unenthusiastic expression most likely radiating off of my face.

"How are you!" he says, giving me a hug.

"I'm fine," I say, watching the ginger haired boy sit down across from me, "What are you doing here?"

"Well Mom and Dad wanted me to find you. They tried calling you but you never answered."

"Wait, are they here?" I ask with the feeling of dread stirring in my stomach.

"They're still in Colorado actually," he says, nervously rubbing the back of his neck.

"So they're not looking."

"No, Olivia, they did! Trust me," he insists as I sit back, crossing my arms.

I raise my eyebrows allowing him to continue, "They did! They, um, called you," he pauses, looking at the coffee themed decorations neatly placed around the quaint shop, "Once."

"Are you kidding me?" I almost shout in disbelief. Actually no, that seems like something they would do.

"No, look Olivia, I'm sorry they did that. They should have put more effort into looking for you, but if it makes a difference, I came all the way out here to look for you."

"How did you find me?"

"This was actually just a stop before I went up to Maine."

"Why would you go to Maine?"

"I was just looking everywhere. Hey! Mission accomplished! You're found and now you can come home with me," he answers.

"Eric, I'm not going back there."

A look of pure shock covers his face, "You're not? Why?"

"I'm really happy here. I almost never was when I lived there, well except for music. That was really the only thing that made me happy. But I really don't think I should be depending on music to solely make me happy. You know?" He nods in reply and I continue, "But once I moved here, I've been happier in the last few months than I've been in years."

"I still don't understand why you weren't happy at home?"

"Look, I tried. Okay? I tried but never felt like I quite fit in. I was always being judged by everyone and I just couldn't handle it anymore."

"So where do you live?" he asks, changing the subject.

"I'm not telling you that,"I say, packing up my things and standing up.

"Awe, c'mon. Do your brother a solid. Pretty please?" he begs.

"Hmm... No."

"Ladybug, please?" oh no he didn't just pull out my old nickname he used to use on me, "I need a place to stay for the night. Just this once and I'll be out of your hair for good. I won't ever bother you again."