Four | The Day After

Start from the beginning

I shake my head and try to push him out of my mind. It was just one night. A mistake. A fantasy that will never come true. I have to forget him and move on with my life.

But as I turn around to face Angie again, I see her holding my phone with a shocked expression on her face.

"Layla," she gasps. "You have a text from him."

After I finish taking the order from the customers that just walk in and pass it to the chief, I quickly head back to Angie and snatch my phone from her hand and glare at her. "Angie, what are you doing? That's my phone. You can't just read my messages."

"Sorry, sorry," she says quickly. "But look who it is. It's him. He texted you."

I look at the screen and feel my heart skip a beat. It's him alright. His name and number are displayed at the top of the message.

I open it and read what he wrote.

"Hey, Layla. I hope you're having a good day. I can't stop thinking about last night. You were amazing. I want to see you again. Can I call you later?"

I stare at the words in disbelief. He wants to see me again? He can't stop thinking about me? He thinks I was amazing?

What does this mean? Does he like me? Does he want more than just dinner? Does he want to be with me?

Or is he just playing with me? Is he bored with his girlfriend and looking for some fun on the side? Is he using me for his own amusement?

I don't know what to do. I don't know what to feel.

I look up at Angie and see her smiling expectantly at me.

"Well?" she asks eagerly. "What are you going to do?"

I felt a surge of panic and excitement. I wanted to talk to him. I wanted to see him. But I also wanted to be careful. I didn't want to get hurt.

I typed a reply and showed it to Angie.

"Hi, James. I'm glad you had a good time. I did too. Sure, you can call me later."

She nodded approvingly.

"That's good. That's casual. That's cool."

I hit send and put my phone away.

"Come on," she said. "Let's get back to work."

We walked out of the staff room and into the busy restaurant.

I tried to focus on my job, but I couldn't stop thinking about him.

James Carter. The handsome stranger who had asked me out last night.

The charming man who had made me laugh and feel special.

God, why are his stupid face and our stupid interaction the other day keep replaying in my head?

I wondered what he was doing right now. Was he with her? Was he thinking about me? Was he planning to call me?

I felt a pang of guilt and jealousy. I didn't want to be the other woman. If he already has a girlfriend, I didn't want to ruin his relationship.

Did he mean what he said to me last night, about the compliments he can't stop himself from giving to me?

Or was I just a fling?

A distraction?

A mistake?

I didn't know.

And I was afraid to find out.

There are too many strange things happening since he walks through that door.

The waitress last night also mistook me for someone close to him. She said James and I used to come to Nobu but as far as I remember, last night is the first time I went there.

Am I his girlfriend before I lost my memories in that Ice Skate incident? Is he the guy I go skate with that night?

Markle told me I have a boy friend that I really close with. Is he that close boy friend of mine?

Stop thinking about this nonscene, Layla. Focus back on your job. You have work to do and bills to pay. If you keep doss off into your fantasy in the middle of the shift like this, you gonna get fired.

"Layla, look!!!" Angie's voice is shrill with panic as she grabs my arm and points at the TV screen.

My eyes widen as I see my face plastered on the news channel, next to a headline that makes my blood run cold.

"According to an exclusive report from a tabloid source, Layla Stanfield, the former girlfriend of Hollywood heartthrob Jake Valentine, was caught in a steamy affair with Jake's bodyguard. This shocking revelation is said to be the reason behind their bitter split last January." The reporter announces with a smug smile.

"No...no...this can't be happening," I whisper, feeling a surge of nausea and disbelief.

This is a lie. A horrible lie. I never cheated on Jake. I loved him more than anything. We broke up on our own accord.

I feel my knees buckle and Angie catches me before I fall. She wraps her arms around me and tries to comfort me.

"It's okay, Layla. It's okay. We'll get through this. We'll prove them wrong." She says softly.

But I can't hear her words. All I can hear is Jake's voice in my head, telling me he loved me, telling me he wanted to marry me, telling me he would never hurt me. But after his career took off... he change.

Not change. He lied. He lied about everything.

And now I'm alone. Alone and exposed to the world's judgment.

I...I...Can't breath...why is Angie spinning...I...