three - 03

And then I can tell myself

What the hell I'm supposed to do

Monday lunch and, as usual, I found myself bee-lining through the school corridors until I reached the library. It didn't take me long before I was checking no one was looking, then slipping behind the trolley and into the slim stretch of space. When I turned back, my heart lurched with dread upon seeing a figure slouched on the ground next to the closet door.

Suna Rintarou looked up from his phone, offering me a wave and thin smile in greeting. I sighed, placing a hand over my galloping heart with relief once I realised it was the tall brunette boy, not some random student, then smiled and waved back.

A mixture of emotions and thoughts clouded my head with the registering that the volleyball player was here, not spending lunch with his friends. My thumping heartbeat meant it was unexpected, but not unwelcome. My clammy palms meant I was nervous at having someone else in my supply closet, but my mood leapt in an anticipating way. If I dwelled on it a second, I realised that I had expected him to forget about our interaction last Friday.

Nevertheless, I approached on silent feet, pulling the key from my pocket to unlock the door. Suna stood by my side, and I opened the door for the latter to step through. Then, I stepped through myself, flicked on the fairy lights and relocked the door. I turned back to Suna, my features lightening at the sight of the starstruck expression on his face.

"I never realised anything so nice could exist in this hell hole." He mumbled, which made me chuckle softly. I'd never had anyone in here with me before; my hands had stopped clamming when I noticed that it felt a lot nicer than I'd imagined it would.

  "I found it last year. I don't think anyone else knows it exists, so don't tell." I said, hoping the male would heed my words.

  "Of course. It'll be our little secret." Suna tried to suppress the smile tugging at his lips, but couldn't help it. I let myself smile and laugh too.

"Pinky promise, alright?" I offered my pinky to the volleyball player before I could think it through. Once I registered what I'd just said, my extended arm fell limp.

  "Sorry, that's really childish of me." I mumbled, forcing my smile to turn bashful as I evaded eye contact with the taller male.

  "Nah, it's not childish. I'll pinky promise." My eyes snapped up to the brunette, who simply smiled knowingly and offered his own pinky. I reached up with a hesitant hand, though Suna's smile reassured me, and the two of us locked pinkies.

  "I'll cross my heart and hope to die. I'll never break my promise, or I'll stick needles in both my eyes." Both of us chanted in unison.

    A comfortable silence settled between us as I zoned out and Suna began to inspect the room more thoroughly.

Honestly, the last five minutes had moved too quickly for my brain to process. It didn't seem like a big thing at all, but in my two years of spending time in this cramped closet, I'd never even thought about actually sharing it with someone. It was a little overwhelming, actually. It wasn't that I hated it, I just wasn't a big fan of sudden change.

    I hadn't a clue what was running through Suna's mind, but I hoped he liked it here as much as I did. I hoped he appreciated this escape from the hell beyond this closet.

"Ok, I don't actually know anything about you. So, tell me about yourself." Suna spoke up, snapping me out of my daze. I shrugged, sitting down on one of the many pillows and pulling a blanket over my legs.

  "What do you mean?" I asked curiously, unable to decide if he wanted my favourite food or my latest traumatic experience.

  "Remember in middle school when they told you to say three things about yourself? Yeah, like that." The brunette insisted, his expression faintly amused.

  "Ok, well then if that's what you want: My name is L/n Y/n, my birthday is dd/mm/yy, and I like video games." I announced with a shrug, then gestured for Suna to tell me his.

  "Uh, well my name's Suna Rintarou, my birthday's January twenty-fifth, and I like playing volleyball." He stated monotonously. I nodded, leaning back against the wall.

"Alright, favourite colour?" Suna inquired thoughtfully.

  "f/c. You?"

  "Same, I prefer the lighter shades though."

  "Really? I thought you'd prefer darker colours." I glanced at him with a teasingly knowing eye, to which he frowned with fake offence. He'd understood what I was trying to convey, which I found slightly surprising. No one had ever grasped my non-verbal communication before, so those few seconds stood out to me the most out of our whole interaction.

  "Wow, ok. I am not emo." He said in a terribly faked taken aback tone.

  "I never said you were." I shrugged, smiling slyly even as I said it.

  "Its all in the eyes - I'll let it slide this once." He jested with a dismissive voice, making me chuckle under my breath and shake my head.

"Next question: favourite song?" Suna questioned, so I took a second to think about it. He waited patiently.

  "Probably f/s, it's the first one that comes to mind, so." I concluded, hoping the boy sitting beside me would know the song. To my surprise, his face lit up ever so slightly.

  "I love that song. None of my friends even listen to the band/singer, it's good to know someone else has good music taste." He sent me a lopsided grin.

Now that I thought about it, I would never have guessed Suna Rintarou, of all people in this school, would have the same music taste as me. Though, I was glad it was him who did, even if I didn't know him that well yet.

  "What's yours then?" I returned the question, waiting as he pondered it.

  "Ya' know what, I don't really have one. I like a lot of songs but I don't really have a favourite. I prefer genres in general, I guess." He spoke, making me smile and nod.

"Ok, random one, but what's your full name?" He glanced at me sidelong, and I sighed.

  "L/n M/n Y/n. My middle name kinda sucks though." I announced half heartedly, then looked at him for an answer to the question.

  "I don't have a middle name, just Suna Rintarou. You have a nice middle name though, dunno what the hell you're on if you don't agree." He stated. Unexpectedly, I found the passive aggressive compliment endearing.

I smiled to myself, unaware of the other boy's intrigued gaze.