• Prologue •

——

"Shit shit shit shit shit!" Billy cursed as he ran through the frigid woods, sticks snapping under his boots.  He was almost out of breath as he made a swift movement to stay out of sight of the dreadful creatures. He ended up behind a broad tree, hoping this would give him more time to get his breathing back in shape and secure his stamina. He grasped the handle of the axe he found in an old, stranded house a few streets from where he was now. His chest stopped heaving and he stood his ground, a determined look on his face.

He had been in this horrid place for about a year, so he had fought these creatures before. He peeked around the decaying tree, expecting to see one of the monsters. There was nothing in the dim area. But he could hear them. He doesn't know how many are after him, but he could hear them.

Billy could hear his heart beats quicken as he quite literally strangled the handle of the axe. He couldn't tell how much of a high ground he had against the monsters, but he just needed to survive.

Suddenly, he heard a gurgle of one of the creatures and his eyes went wide, he turned around quickly and planted his feet. He was face to face with the flower-like head full of teeth. As menacing as the monster was, he still kept a smirk on his face.

Billy could only hope there was only one and not multiple coming at him at once.

The humanoid monster lunged at Billy, catching a fragment of the skin of his forearm with its claw-like fingers. While it was beside Billy, he took the opportunity to jab the creature in its upper back and he quickly backed away. He figured that would definitely piss it off.

The creature let out an unpleasant screech, making Billy more determined to beat it. He figured a stab in the back would slow it down. The humanoid bolted at Billy again, mouth open and showing all teeth. Billy readied his axe and he timed it correctly before shoving it down the monster's throat. He yelled as he sliced its throat, oily black blood erupted from the creature and it was soon lifeless.

The body clumped onto the dampened ground in front of Billy. He stood stationary, looking down at the body as he breathed heavily. He looked down and noticed blood that wasn't oily black. Red. It was his blood. The creature must've caught a hold of his arm before he killed it.

Before he could arrange a plan, his body started moving again through the dark-blue tinted woods. He was expeditious, and although he was in a lot of pain he wouldn't come to a halt.

The rest of the accelerated walk was uneventful, it would almost be like a stroll in the woods if it weren't for the monsters that were trying to kill him and the horrendous sight of this place. He didn't know how long he had walked, but he ended up somewhere familiar. He kept going until he saw a road and a sign. He had to get near it to be able to read it.

Cherry Lane

He knew where he was, and he can't help the sinking feeling in his stomach. He never thought to come back here. He sighed as he kept walking down the uncomfortably familiar street, axe dangling from his loosened grip, and his injured arm wrapped around his torso.

Billy eventually reached the old Hargrove-Mayfield house. He may have lived here but it wasn't a home, his dad made sure of that. His eyes scanned the place, it looked so different in this atmosphere.

He started walking up the sidewalk to the front porch, the whole place was amiss. He looked away from the porch and he walked up to the door, sighing as he turned the handle and heard that familiar click.

As soon as he walked inside he noticed the all familiar rooms. They were filled with mostly memories of the fragmented family. The door shut behind him with a creek as he rotated to the direction of his old room.

His boots made a treading sound on the wooden and worn out floor as he entered his room. Just as cold as outside.

Throughout the room, the posters still hung on the rotted walls, they were just all damp and torn. Everything was grimy. He stepped inside the old room and his eyes landed on the soil-stained ash tray that sat by his bed.

Memories began filling Billy's head again, unpleasant memories. Specifically of his father, who was all talk about 'respect and responsibility.'

Billy remembers how perilous it was to live in this house. To have been in Hawkins. Now he was unsure whether he was even dead or alive.

He sighed as he headed for the bathroom, he didn't see how water could run in this place, but he tried it anyway. No luck. He just decided to use an old wash towel to scrub off as much blood as he can. He recalled the bandages he kept in a cabinet and pulled some of them out. He wrapped his arm with some strands, that'll have to do for now.

Billy stood up and looked in the mirror above the sink. Even though the mirror was covered in dirt, he could still see his reflection. He took notice at his tangled curls, his hair had gotten longer as well. Speakin' of it.

Starin' at myself in the mirror like I'm some sorta fag.

Billy murmured to himself as he quickly exited the bathroom. He approached the bed in the corner of his room.

——

Billy jolted up from his bed as he heard a screeching-like noise outside. It was distant, but he still heard it. He scrambled to get up and quickly grabbed onto his axe. He swiftly made his way to his window and searched the front of the house.

After what felt like a literal year, one of the creatures started creeping towards the house, and Billy's gaze fixed on it. He watched and waited for what it was going to do next. He was prepared to fight another one of these ugly ass things.

The creature stopped in its tracks and started to go the opposite direction, leaving the Hargrove house. Billy sighed.

He rubs his hand down his face and stands in that same spot for a few more minutes, and his head turned towards the exit of the house. He figured that he wasn't safe anywhere, so he might as well keep moving. Keep hoping.

He took his leave back into the woods, he did some thinking and supposed he could try to find Brimborn Steelworks. That was where he and many other people were flayed. He ceased for a moment, the feeling of guilt overcame him. He couldn't help but think, if it weren't for him all those people would still be alive.

After a few more seconds of pondering, he decided to keep moving.

Within a few more minutes of just Billy walking in the direction of the Steelworks, there was shuffling and crunching leaves nearby. He had not thought that much of it before. He stopped for a moment. He heard a gurgle of a demogorgon right beside him. In that moment he felt fear rise inside him again, and he readied himself for the attack, "Try me, you bastard!"

-
Steve woke up suddenly after the demogorgon lunged itself at Billy. He was breathing heavily and he was drenched in sweat. His body trembled as he got himself in a sitting position on his bed.

He looked to his bed stand quickly to see that his clock read:

3:56 a.m.

——

Note: Well, that was that.