Chapter 3

The next day... "This is fine, Kristy. You express yourself nicely on paper." Later "You're sitting for the Pikes today?" "Yeah!" "How many of them?" "Two. Claire and Margo." "You should bring them over to the Newtons'....They can play with Jamie and David Michael." "Oh, hey, great! And you can tell me about the Baby-sitting Club." "Okay! See you there."  Soon... "Hi-hi!"  "Hi, Jamie." "Look what I got!" "A G.I Joe?!" "Got any others?" "Sure! C'mon!" "Thank goodness for G.I Joe." "Sorry about David Michael, but it looks like it'll work out okay." "I'm sure it'll be fine.... Jamie had better get used to other children." "How long until the baby's due?" "About eight weeks." "Oh, I wish it could hurry up!" YOU WISH!!" "...Just the Doctor's appointment and a few errands... I should be back by 5:30." "Okay. 5:30." HI-HI! HI-HI! "Okay, so tell me about the Baby-sitting Club!" "Well, I thought we could get together with a couple other girls who can Baby-sit..." "...And we could form a club." " Sort like a company." THUMP! "Jamie!" "Where does it hurt?" "Everywhere?" "...Yeah." Maybe we'd better go." "Okay." "Listen, let's tell Claudia the idea. I'll meet you at her house when we're done sitting." "She'll be back from her Art class by then." "Okay... See you." Soon... "Claudia! Your face! You look like..." "...You got made up for the circus. I mean it's so colorful!" "Thanks a lot." "No, honestly, Claud... You don't need makeup. You've got such a beautiful face." "Nice try." "Are you going to wear that to school tomorrow?" "If I can get away with it." "Come say hi to my grandmother." "Hi, Mimi." "Kristy! How nice to see you." "We'll be upstairs." I guess Claudia is growing up faster than Mary Anne and me.... "Um... So, where's your sister?" "The genius?" "Janine's probably out studying. Where else? Mary Anne'll be here in a few minutes. I have this really great idea I want to tell both of you about." "What is it??" "A Baby-sitters Club." "A Baby-sitters club?" "Yeah, I'll explain it all when --" DING DONG "Hey guys!" "Okay, Kristy... Tell us your idea." "Well...we all baby-sit anyway, so I thought we could sort of join together." "We could advertise ourselves and get more customers." "We should meet a few times each week and tell our customers what those times are...." "Then they can make one call and reach a whole bunch of us at once!" "Cool!" "Yeah!" "And if, like, Mrs. Pike wants two sitters she only has to make one call." "Exactly!" "There's only two more things to think about: One, where should we hold our meetings?" "And two, who else could we ask to join the club?" "I can answer both questions." "We should hold meetings here, because I have a phone in my room." "Oh, terrific!" "And I know someone who might want to join the club." "Who?" "She's new. She just moved to Stoneybrook. She lives right over on Fawcett avenue, and she's in one of my classes. Her name's Stacey Mcgill." Well, okay ...Of course, we'll have to meet her." "Oh, sure. You'll really like her. She's from New York City." "Why don't we all meet here again at 5:30 tomorrow?" "Sounds good . . . See you then!!"