We had been at it for a few hours and were finishing up before we took a lunch break. Our last patient to check on was Noosa, the sea turtle Ashley and I rescued a few weeks ago now. Dr Sam stood by Noosa's holding tank when Ashley and I walked over to it. 

"Hey, how ya going?" I said once we approached the tank.

"I'm doing great, how are you two?" Dr Sam replied. 

"We're both great," Ashley said. "And how is little Noosa?" 

"She's doing really great," Dr Sam said, looking down at her clipboard. "She's done excellent with all of her treatment we've done, and I reckon she is ready to be released. I know you two rescued her yourselves, and I figured I would let you two release her if you think you're up for it."  She smiled at us. 

"Oh, that's wonderful!" Ashley said, looking down at Noosa as she swam around the holding tank. 

"That's great!" I said, "How about we release her tomorrow? What do you reckon, Ashley?"

She looked up at me, her green eyes sparkling from the sun reflecting off of the water of the holding tank. "I reckon that is a great idea," she said, smiling. 

"A Christmas release, that'll be a good day," Dr Sam said, writing it down on her clipboard. 

"I've got to get back to it, but you two are free to hang around for a bit, and I will try to see the Croc Show this afternoon," Dr Sam said before walking off. 

"Releasing her so soon will be good for her," Ashley said. 

"Yeah, I think it would be a great thing for us, too," I said. "And I know our families will be there, but it will be something you and I could do together, mostly." 

I liked doing animal things with her, caring after them, rescuing them, everything. And I wanted to make so many more memories with her, doing these things. I imagined our relationship would be much like Bindi and Chandler's- always doing things together for our wildlife and the sake of conservation, going on trips to save and study animals, and just having a shared experience of what we do here at the zoo. I mean, we practically do all of that now, but I think doing it as a couple would be a bit different. Or, maybe it wouldn't. The only way to know is to find out. 

"Yeah, that would be great," she said, looking back down at Noosa. Ashley smiled and her green eyes glistened from the sun reflecting off the water. The sun was shining perfectly on her, making her glow. "You'll be able to swim free again, sweetheart. You've done so well." Ashley spoke calmly and reassuringly to Noosa, similar to the way Bindi does. 

"It'll definitely be special to release her on Christmas," I said, moving closer to Ashley. I gently reached and grabbed her hand, interlacing our fingers. She gave my hand 3 small squeezes. I smiled.

"Oh, we should go snorkelling when we release her," Ashley said softly.  "And you can bring your underwater photography stuff, it would be beautiful."

"Anything for you, love," I said, kissing the side of her head gently. I know with us not being officially dating, I maybe shouldn't be too public with our PDA, but this was the Wildlife Hospital, and I trusted everyone here not to say anything to the media or whatnot. Plus I saw that no one else was around. 

I stood like that for a minute, my lips pressed against the side of her head. Her hair tickled my nose and had a sweet floral smell. 

"Robert, you're incredible," She said quietly, breaking our silence. I smiled, thinking it was kind of her way of saying "I love you" without really saying it, like baby steps. My heart beat faster at her words.