01 | agatha

— CHAPTER ONEagatha

— CHAPTER ONE
agatha

***

"JULIETTE!" A voice shouted from down the stairs. Usually, the tone of her mother's voice would have Juliette rolling her eyes and planning a way to smooth-talk her way out of another punishment, however, this time Juliette couldn't think of anything she'd done (recently at least) to get herself scolded for. She'd been on her best behavior in hopes of being able to leave the house again.

A brow raised instinctively, and she climbed to her feet, pushing her old laptop aside. It had been her brother's at one point, but once he'd gotten his scholarship to his college, he decided he didn't need it anymore.

That was three years ago, and the laptop was just a metaphor, because none of them had heard from him since. Juliette threw that thought to where it belonged — to the back of her head, and narrowly avoided the clothing piles thrown in her room.

She hadn't cleaned it in weeks, then again, after her most recent stunt that had gotten her grounded (it involved a golf club, a stick of beef jerky, and one of her closest friends JJ Maybank, but she wasn't getting into details) she hadn't been allowed out for weeks, and she became too lazy to keep her room tidy. Though, to be fair, it wasn't always the cleanest. Probably hadn't been mopped since 2014, but who was counting?

"Yes?" Juliette's voice echoed through the narrow hallway that led into the kitchen. Their house wasn't the biggest, only three bedrooms, enough space for a bathroom upstairs, and a smaller one off to the left of the living room on the first floor, but that was about it. She didn't complain, her mother worked hard, and her father worked harder, which was why he was never home.

"Take out Chimney, he won't stop whining."

Chimney, short for Chimney Cricket, a rip off from Pinocchio, which Juliette had found hilarious at the age of nine when they'd first got him, was the Matthews' dog, an old collie at that. Though his tail wagged eagerly at the word 'out,' Juliette could see his struggle to stand. Poor thing. Juliette glanced to her mother. "Take him out? Damn, mom. That's harsh."

A dismissive wave was all Juliette got in response.  She shrugged her off, and called Chimney to her side.

The wind was strong that afternoon. Juliette averted her gaze as the dog did his business, and decided to watch the trees dance instead. The sky had darkened, and curiously, she pulled her phone out of her pocket to check the weather.

Notifications from the Pogue group chat over took her lock screen, but she ignored them. There was no point in answering anyway, she doubted her mother would let her go out, even if her punishment was up.

"Hurricane Agatha," her mother read off once she was back inside. "So much for that dinner on the docks, huh Jules?"

I hate it when you call me that, she wanted to say. Instead, she nodded, internally grateful. No, she wasn't allowed out with her friends, but she could go to a dinner party with her mom and some co-workers, which made perfect sense in her mother's eyes. Juliette thought it to be total bullshit.